HybridZ

Zed Compatibility

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey All

I've got a '74 260z that's been wanting some extra reliablility and power for awhile now! And has also been slaving away with auto transmission, which hasn't been fun. When I came up with the idea, of buying an entire 280zx, and just moving everything over! The entire drivetrain, gearbox, wheels, tyres... and some other stuff I was hoping for like retractable seatbelts.. switch for hazard lights.. maybe the brakes, rear diff, electric windows/mirrors.. anything! Tons of parts as well, like light globes, panels, wheels, tyres, etc

What I was wondering, is how much of this stuff will be easily transplanted into my car.. I know the gearbox and engine will bolt in.. but how hard will it be to get them working? Will I need further parts from a manual 260z? Or will things like the pedal box from the 280zx fit in the 260z just fine? Also will the gauges be compatible with the computer, and is there anything i've over looked or should otherwise think about?

Yeah, I know that the stock L28 efi isn't the fastest, but it'll be faster then my L26 /w hitachis and will be alot more reliable, and down here in Australia, the temperature ain't always the best, so reliablility is important.

And also, the 280zx turbo engine is nigh on impossible to find down here, even manifolds to make your own are very very hard to come by, so yeah, any comments, thank you immensely!

Cheers

Will - Arch - www.ZeroUnited.com

Guest Anonymous

a lot depends on if you have the early or late model 260z. Does it look like a 73 240z or a 75 280z? From my understanding the early model is most compatable with the 240z's and the late model is most compatable with the 280z's however, the motors and transmitions and rearends will swap from just about any z into any other z with a little work. Try searching here or on zcar.com and see what you find, someone has already done just about every swap imaginable so there should be help somewhere.

Guest Anonymous

ah cool, well that helped a lot too

so the diff can go straight in can it?

it's an Aussie 1974 Zed, so it's basically a 240z.. over here they made 260z in 1975 as well.

I'm mainly interested in like, the pedal box, as the car I've got now is an Auto, and it requires lots of little bits and pieces to make the conversion, and I'm hoping I can get all these bits out of the 280zx, without having to buy more 260z parts.

Cheers!

Guest Zpeed

Will, go to a datsun wreckers, and from a 75 or 76 260z get the retractorble seatbelts, and the hazard lights, mine has them,

i didn't know earlier cars didn't have those,

also panels can't be transplated, can prollt use the lights, the diff on 280zx's are 3.9 i think thatd be nice

Guest Anonymous

Nat, yours has retractable? bastard! hehe

panels I don't care about, that's one thing my car excels at..

but yeah, the diff and the drivetrain are the main ingredients my car needs.. and luckily they fit in perfect.. Now I just need to find that certain 280zx, hehe

Cheers

Guest VertexZ

Mines retractable as well...must be a series 2 thing.

electric mirrors will work (BlueZZ had them, although not wired up) windows will not (dont fit). Rear hatch solenoid (for remote opening) should be able to be adapted...seats fit although they dont really suit the car...all the body panels are different. Headlight washer jets you could probably be hooked up...no chance of getting a radiator reservior bottle in though (no room)...electric door locks maybe able to be hooked up...I cant think of anything else you might want to use...

Jeremy

Seeing as we are speaking of Aussie 260Z's...I have a 76...are these the 'old style' 240, or the later 280 look?

I have never seen a 280Z in person, the only difference I can tell between mine and a 240 is that its a wee bit bigger.....which I like actually :-)

Ray

Guest VertexZ

the 280Z was US only - not other markets got it - they continued with the 260Z (similar to the 'early' US 260Z) up untill 1978.

late 260/280Z is more or less the same in terms of looks, except it has huge arse ugly bumpers.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by VertexZ:

the 280Z was US only - not other markets got it - they continued with the 260Z (similar to the 'early' US 260Z) up untill 1978.

interesting, since we hav a 78 Fairlady 280z...last time i checked, right hand drive cars werent US-market bound ;)

--edit--

Actually, i take that back...i remember my dad swapped in the 2.8 while we were still in Japan