HybridZ

Turbo Project

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Whats up Guys.

Heres the deal. I have a 280zx Non turbo and after long debate as to what I am going to do, I am going to pick up a turbo engine on Sunday. I'm looking for suggestions as to what to do while the engine is out before I drop it in my car. I am going for the most amount of reasonable power without making it street ill-legal. I also don't care about emmisions or anything like that though.

I was thinking: Pullies, Lighten Flywheel, Port and Polished Intake manifold, Lager Throttle. I already have the intercooler and am going to do the piping myself. I also have the stockTurbo off of a 300zx in very good condition.

Let me know what else you guys (especially those who already have done it) think, and if anyone has any websites where I might find any of these this. Also If any have any they might want to sell.

Thanks,

Jarrett

Guest Anonymous

What fuel management system are you going to use? I have a na but all sounds ok except pulley will not matter and don't go to lite on flywheel. stay around 14 or so.

Billy

Guest Anonymous

if that turbo is off a 300ZXT it is going to be too small for you to run on the 2.8L I6 motor. the 300ZXT was a V6 and came with twin turbos. and from what i've heard even with two of them they were still too small for the 300ZX to get any good power out of it past stock. in my opinion you would probably be best just ponying up the dough for a nice T4/T3 hybrid in the first place 'cause once you get a taste of it you are going too want more :D trust me ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MegaShaft_2000
Originally posted by v-8 Zfreak:

and from what i've heard even with two of them they were still too small for the 300ZX to get any good power out of it past stock.

The 1984-1989 300ZX (Z31) has only one turbo. This is probably what Jarrett was referring to. The 1984-1987 models used a T3, and the 1988 and 89 models used a smaller T25. The T3 turbos were good up to around 300 hp on the 84-87's. The 88's and 89's with the small T25's were really limited in how much boost they could run, and couldn't be pushed far from stock. That's probably what you heard when they said you couldn't push much more boost, they weren't referring to the twin turbo Z.

The 1990-1996 300ZX (Z32)was a completely different design, and it was the one with the twin turbo V6. The turbos are small, since there's two of them, but they aren't so small that you can't push the car past stock. Stock the engine produced 300 hp at 9 psi, and I turned up the boost on mine and have a little more than 400 hp on the stock turbos at 15 psi. I stopped there because the stock 375cc fuel injectors won't flow enough fuel for me to run more boost. Most people who upgraded to 555cc injectors use their stock turbos up to around 450 hp (around 19 psi)