HybridZ

RB20det sandwich plate oil control/ Gearbox oil surge

Gareth. J.

Hi guys, I'm in the process of rebuilding an RB20det gearbox for my track Z. I'm looking into close ratio gear sets and came across some interesting info regarding gearbox oil surge on the PPG/ Pfitzner gear website http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/page.asp?parentid=2&parent2id=15&parent3id=27

It states as follows, see attached pic also.

"All SR20 gearboxes have a "sandwich plate" in between the casing sections. On early types this has many holes to allow oil to move from the front to rear and vice versa. Nissan reduced the amount of holes in this plate and eventually went to a gated "trapdoor" type system on S14 gearboxes. This was done to solve a lubrication issue in early type gearboxes. Under drifting and motorsport situations the oil will have a tendency to sit in the rear section of the gearbox and thus starve certain gears of oil in the front section, particularly 3rd and 4th gear. This is a NISSAN design fault. It is imperitive that you ensure you use a late type sandwich plate or you block the oil holes to the rear of the gearbox to stop oil surge as per the picture to RIGHT. Please contact sales@ppgearbox.com.au should you have any questions. PPG will not warrant any SR20 sets that show signs of insufficient lubrication"

My understanding is the RB20 is very similar to the SR20 box, Is this a required or worthwhile modification to do while I have the box completely torn down?

post-12875-0-25050900-1372493495_thumb.jpg

post-12875-0-48600500-1372493599_thumb.jpg