HybridZ

Has anyone swapped in the GM 200 trans to the L28?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

As a step toward a future SBC swap, I'd like to swap the datsun automatic tranny out and the GM 200 automatic with overdrive, in. Anybody succeded in mating this to the 280ZX six?

I hope, I hope hail.gif .

Guest Anonymous

I have never heard of this swap or know of no adapter.I saw an adapter for a chev powerglide transmission to an air colled Volkswagon engine though. Even if it could be done the 2004R trans would most likely be positioned and mounted too far forward in the tunnel to accomadate a later SBC V-8 transplant without moving and relocating the transmission mounting position further back..At least your thinking about the possibilities. You could be concentrating on suspension modifications ,motor mounts, radiator swaps and all kind of parts like exhaust headers,adapters for oil and water temperature gauges. A running Donar car with the 2004R and SBC V- 8 ???

Guest Aaron

Check with these guys. Advance Adapters They mainly do 4x4 stuff, but I was told by a vendor at the Hot Rod Power Tour that these guys can hook any engine to any transmission (to any transfer case but that does not concern us). I have never actually dealt with them however.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Tomahawk Z:

I have never heard of this swap or know of no adapter.I saw an adapter for a chev powerglide transmission to an air colled Volkswagon engine though. Even if it could be done the 2004R trans would most likely be positioned and mounted too far forward in the tunnel to accomadate a later SBC V-8 transplant without moving and relocating the transmission mounting position further back..At least your thinking about the possibilities. You could be concentrating on suspension modifications ,motor mounts, radiator swaps and all kind of parts like exhaust headers,adapters for oil and water temperature gauges. A running Donar car with the 2004R and SBC V- 8 ???

Yep. I'm going through the suspension now, front and rear. I have found limited, but not complete poly-bushings for this car...

The 2004R would be a nice complement to the L28, if I never get around to the V8. I have been unsuccessful in finding shift kits for the stock tranny and would love to have overdrive.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Aaron:

Check with these guys. Advance Adapters They mainly do 4x4 stuff, but I was told by a vendor at the Hot Rod Power Tour that these guys can hook any engine to any transmission (to any transfer case but that does not concern us). I have never actually dealt with them however.

Thanks for the referral. I sent them an email; no reply yet. I emailed a company in Australia (!); I hope the call the car and trans the same down under.