HybridZ

machine shop cost

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i went to the good machine shop here in town and got some quotes and i just wanted to run them by u guys

the quote was 500 dollars to do the following

valve job

bore engine .020 over

hot tank

and

turn the crank

can u guys think of anything else??

or would i be better off taking it to a town a little bigger to get a better price.

thanks a lot

dave

First off why stop at 0.020 over? That would require an aftermarket piston (as opposed to a standard factory oversize), and if you're gonna bore it doesn't cost any more to go +0.040 or +0.080. Which block is this? $500 bucks is cheap to do all that, and you will absolutely positively get cheap workmanship. You are rebuilding the engine because of what?

Guest Anonymous

with .020 i will still have block later on that still has some meat left into it. the motor is a f54 turbo block. i am rebuilding it because "I have the need, the need for forged pistons" so i was going to go .020 over so that i can have nice new thatching on the cynlider walls to start my project off with. I will be running a t3/t4 turbo thanks to z gad, with forged rods and pistons.

thanks

dave

Guest Anonymous

Oscar...

people have bored 3mm over (.120) an f54 block (i.e. 3.1 stroker) just fine, ran 500+ hp just fine. That's the clear limit though. And that's the only recommended block for this.

Take a look at James' (240turbo) setup if you want verification. I'd say go for it man. I feel the need.. the need to save money and draw the line somewhere. But if I'm making 350 hp at the crank I could easily fry a piston, even preventing det. with huge spearco and water inj. If I do fry one, I'll get a set of 89mm bore JE's and bore .120 over. Even without a stroker crank that's another 12 cubes.. another 30 horse with a full turbo setup. Hell ya! Lets just say I won't be *too* upset if I fry a piston tongue.gif

good luck w/ your setup

-980mak rockon.gif