HybridZ

Please help!!! Another SU carb question.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Alright I bought the linkage from MSA that connects the 2 su's together. Got it all hooked up to each carb but when I press the peddle all that moves is the linkage that opens the butterfly. The nozzle/jet (thing where fuel comes in that moves toward the gound) doesnt move at all. Does the nozzle/jet only move when the car is runnning or am I missing some important parts? weird.gif Please help me i want t drive my car!! :D:D:D:D

Thanks

Lance

rockon.gif

You're on the right track--when you open the throttle with the engine not running, the butterflies will open, and thats it--when it's running, the vacuum will cause the pistons to rise, pulling the needle up out of the nozzle to allow fuel flow (to quote Scott Bruning: "a SU carb is nothing but a controlled fuel leak")

The only time you should get any movement from the nozzles is when you pull the choke cable--it'll move the nozzle down to richen the mixture a bit--the choke linkage should also bump the butterflies open a little

If you havent already-I would seriously consider getting the SU videotape from www.ztherapy.com--I ordered it when I had my carbs redone, and it was the best 15 bucks I ever spent for a tuning tool

Guest Anonymous

Ok next question. On most carbs out there when the vehicle is turned off and you push on the linkage you can see gas squirt out of the jet into the body. On these su's can you tell if that is happening or does it only squirt gas in the body when there is a vacuum on it?

You'll never see that happen--SU carbs have no accellerator pump--you can pump the throttle all day long, and never flood it. It also does no good to pump the pedal when trying to start it--just pull the choke back and crank it--if anything, put a little pressure on the pedal and hold it, that's about it