HybridZ

Installing 87 turbo electronics on 79 NA motor

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm just wondering if anyone has attempted this, as I plan to possibly be doing so in the near future...the wiring in my 79 is pretty much shot and I am planning to go SDS in the 87T with a larger turbo anyway, so I thought it might be an interesting endeavor to throw the entire setup from the 87, injectors, fuel pump, turbo and all on the 79 NA motor(N42/N47) I have the facilities to fabricate the turbo manifold, and even have a spare MkIV supra intercooler to use for the project...I'm just wondering how much boost the stock motor can take safely with the higher compression and all...I'd go with an l28ET, but have had little luck lately in finding one at a decent price. Any pitfalls anyone here can see? rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

I started down this road and found a few "issues". First, since the Z31 uses a MASS instead of an AFM, the MASS must be wired. Since you have the harness, you've got that beat. smile.gif Second, the CAS in the distributor must be removed from the Z31. This will drop into the L28ET distributor (with a little coaxing) :D

Hope this helps.

SmackZ

Guest Anonymous

K, you say the L28ET distributor...does that mean it won't work with the stock 79 NA distributor(or any 79-83 NA distributor for that matter)? CAS shouldn't be a problem since the SDS system for the 300 I want will eliminate the distributor altogether...