HybridZ

choke cable...

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

how difficult is it to repair the choke cable if it doesn't work whatsoever? would it be easier to look in my chilton's? also, what can i do to just rid myself of the choke (electric, FI, what else?) thanks

I've devised a way to eliminate the SU choke cables but it's a bit advanced and possibly more than the average wrench would want to tackle. However, it does work great compared to the sometimes finicky SU chokes. One big problem is that one or both chokes can hang up at the jet nozzle and not release fully which disrupts the mixture and kills performance.

Anyway, the device I made is based on an old aircraft design which is similar to a marine carb device and is a primer system. It is for carbs without accelerator pumps like planes, boats and SUs.

I set mine up with a small electric pump but a manual primer pump or a squeeze valve could be used instead. I ran a small diameter copper tube from the pump to a fitting on the intake between the two carbs and pinched the tip a bit so it would spray a small amount of fuel before cranking. Once running, the intake vacuum can draw a small amount of extra fuel through the copper tube. I used a GM water temp/vacuum valve into the heater hose off the engine to allow this draw of fuel until the temp reaches 100 degrees.

This has worked flawlessly through two winters but lately it's taken more time on the primer button to fire it up so I think I need to use some fuel system cleaner. Fuel system experience is a requirement for this mod; otherwise just repair the choke cables and make sure the nozzles are clean (carb cleaner) and move freely. DAW