HybridZ

Todays show sponsered By bent exaust valves

Guest LIghtningZ

Guest LIghtningZ

Good morning All!! Hey Daw your getting to be our local Z head guru! we typed yesterday about my 75 280Z with a (stuck...#6 exaust valve) i managed to find a good P79 head from a maxima like you suggested but, you also mentioned that i should install the intake valves from my head which is an N42 for better uppper end breathing what i didnt understand was weather i needed to do any machine work (which i cant afford after buying the head) or can i just swapp in the valves and plunk the head down(after swapping over towers, cam, followers etc. and run with it. your Sagely advise is indeed greatly appriciated hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif P.S. i did read all of your previous posts and every one elses very very informative!!(especially the P79 head site) i,d hate to make a wrong move cry2.gif2thumbs.gif and would like to wait for your advise.

The Maxima head should be an N47 not a P79 (it looks like a P79 combustion chamber though, except the chamber is less deep in the Maxima head so it uses the 240/260/280Z length valves and not the shorter valves used in the 280ZX heads (P79 & P90). If your money is funny and you are trying to squeeze out some performance on a tight budget you could consider putting on a maxima head as-is (except transfer your cam & oiler setup to it)... what you'd be giving up is 2mm of intake valve diameter (42mm vs 44mm); but what you'd gain is a significant amount of performance boosting compression. It's a tough call but bang for buck I think your car would benefit vs the stock, emissions oriented configuration. Victoria British sells the intake valve seats for $6.95 each. You've already got the valves. You could call for quotes on R&R six valve seats in the head and bring it to the machine shop with intakes dissasembled to save some labor. Alternatively, you could do the head swap with no valve exchange and see what you've got and you'd know that there's more power to be had if you want to do the intake valve exchange at some later time. DAW