HybridZ

Hey, Tomahawk!!!

Guest LIghtningZ

Guest LIghtningZ

O.k. i screwed up and droped the chain i think i'll go with your advise and pull the front cover do ya think you can give me a step by step... p.s. which way should my distributor point for TDC #1?? i pulled the head with it pointing to the windshield which is what i thought was #1 :eek: but by looking at the valves i think it may be at #6 HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!! twak.gif2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

Do not worry about any timing settings or number one cylinder settings since the chain dropped. The big problem is getting the crank pulley off and locking the crankshaft in place without the out out sequence valves hitting the rotating pistons.

Guest Anonymous

There maybe a lot of dissent about my labor intensive methods but .. the timing chain dropped.Get a gasket set and a quality head gasket. Take the hood off if it is difficult to work around. Pull the radiator. Take the lower sheet metal pan shield from off the frame rails. Take out the oil pan bolts that connect to the timing cover. Remove the oil pump and distributor. Remove the alternator and fan but not the water pump. The water pump should have about 3 bolts that connect thru the timing cover to the block, remove these. Remove all the timing cover bolts going to the block including the small 10 mm bolts located at the very top and bottom of the timing cover.Remove the crankshaft pulley by placing the car in gear or Park and locking the brakes. This may be difficult to prevent piston movement because of the dropped chain, if all fails including the chain binding on itself to stop movement and you can not lock that crank pulley in place to prevent the pistons from moving up and hitting the out of sequence valves; you will have to loosen the valve rocker arm adjustment and remove the rocker arms which will close the valves and prevent them from hitting the tops of the pistons.If the head is not off try to remove the head at this time which means that the intake and exhaust manifolds should be removed.After head is removed you can remove timing cover and sometimes you can remove the cover if the loose head is still on. Take off timing guides and tensioner being careful with the spring inside the tensioner which bends easily.It takes me a day to tear down this far. email me ljohnson97438@yahoo.com and I will give you my phone number since I probably left out a few things. . We can proceed to step 2