HybridZ

Question about aftermarket fuel/air mixture sensors

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I've seen a few guys recently say that theyve installed O2 sensors in their exhausts to help with tuning their carbs. The exhaust in my 240 (along with the motor) came out of a 1980 280zx, so I already have a bung welded into the head, just one in the downpipe, to accept the stock nissan O2 sensor. What I'm wondering is if A)can I use the stock Nissan O2 sensor to interface with an aftermarket setup to monitor my fuel mixture? B)if not, will the bung accomodate another O2 sensor? Do they all have universal threading? C)though I'm sure it's not the most accurate method, would using one O2 sensor in the downpipe work okay? Or do you have to use one O2 in a header pipe for each carb being tuned?

I was just thinking of getting a Colortune device to help tuning the carbs, as I've heard they work perfectly, but the advantages of being able to monitor my A/F ratio while driving are making me think... since I already have the bung I should put it to good use (and the sensor if possible... it's near brand new $80 nissan unit!!)

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I have a 71 240Z with a L28 block, E88 head, triple SK carbs, and headers. I will be tearing the car down next year after I start buying a house and have the room to do some restoration and performance work. I am still collecting info to see what I want to, but I have been thinking about putting in a O2 sensor and air/fuel meter too. I think it is a good idea. As far as I know, I think all stock O2 sensors work with the air/fuel guages. Let me know how it works out. 2thumbs.gif

Marcos

Guest bastaad525

Kewl... anyone else know for sure if I can use the stock Nissan sensor with an aftermarket readout unit?? Pretty sure the sensor I have is still good, if not then still I wonder about the thread size on the bung, will an aftermarket O2 sensor have the same threading as the nissan unit?

Umm, we went over this in the EFI forum I think. 'For a carb one of those O2 meters might give you some VERY rough idea as to what's going on but don't expect very much at all form them. Narrow band O2 sensors are most sensitive at 14.7:1 Stoich A/F. On either side of that they can say rich or lean like a lightswitch but not much better than that. W/B O2 sensors exist - they rock - but they cost a decent amount. the EFI thread covered this well already...