HybridZ

Well here i go looking for trouble again!!!

Guest LIghtningZ

Guest LIghtningZ

O.k. ill leave it up to you pros and sages. (belive me it was way easier to pull the front cover and and take care of the timing chain and tensioner than it was to wrestle with that stupid "Y" shaped block twak.gif !!) Heres the question, now that im getting ready to reinstall the cover and balancer, im looking at the cam sprocket and the three marks for chain slack adjustment... I would imagine that these are to advance the cam to compensate for strech... so me being an all out Speed freak :D and usually advancing the cams on fords and chevys for that extra bit of mixture before ignition, would this work on the L28 in the same manner or am i looking for trouble nono.gif ?? (Recap, 75 L28 new JY N47 head FI)

Make sure you have a Hayne's or factory service manual for the diagram of the indexing of the cam sprocket notch to the cam tower end cap line. If you deviate from the stock position of the line/notch (this is what really matters; not what hole (1,2,3) the sprocket is in), then with a na steet engine I'd try to advance it a bit to help responsiveness. You know that with wear it will tend to retard itself anyway. Find the hole that results in the stock location of the index mark, then install it with the next higher hole. E.g., if #1 locating hole yields stock index, then choose #2, etc. If #3 yields stock index, then you either need a new chain or thicker head gasket or cam tower shims! DAW

• 6 years later...