HybridZ

Question on exhaust manifold options

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello all,

My early 260Z had an E30 sq-port exhaust manifold.

Due to damaged/missing studs at the down-pipe, was thinking of replacing it - as I am a little leery spending money to have such a heat-beaten item repaired...

I'm thinking my only choices are headers or a stock manifold.

Are there any new-old-stock sq-port Z manifolds out there to be found? If not "for a 260Z", what about parts iterchange with a later L-6 Z, or an 810?

If no new stockers are available, what about a header with a fool-proof bolt-on install? At this time I am not in a position to spend on replacing the whole exhaust system from the down-pipe back, just to support a header install. But if If I must..

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by DAW:

LD28 has a smooth-flow square port exhaust manifold with separate 1-2-3; 4-5-6 chambers and strong downtude studs. DAW

Thanks for the reply!

This is the diesel 280 from a Datsun 810? Would it fit my L26 E88 and stock downpipe? For that matter, is there another source for sq-port exhaust manifold - L28, ZX L28, turbo L28?

Thanks tons for the ideas!

Steve

The diesel is in the Maxima, which was called the 810 also in '81 or so, then just called Maxima after that. It had an LD28 available until '84 as far as I know.

The manifold will bolt-on and doesn't have any air pump tubes (which also have a restrictive "bump" inside the manifold port for the tubes). The outlet ports/flange are in the same location and angle as the other L6 na manifolds but I don't know if they are absolutely identical.

Another possible choice is the '81-'83 280ZX L28 manifold. The P79 head has hexagonal/"round" ports and the manifold ports have the same shapes but it looks like it would work on an early square port head in a pinch. One reason I say this is the observation that the P90 L28ET head is square port but the turbo manifold ports are the hexagonal shape and look like it would work on either "round" or "square" port heads (read: you may be able to use a factory turbo setup on a stock '75-'78 block/head, 8.3 c.r., if you keep boost down). The feature on the '81-'83 L28E manifold that's nice is the exhaust gas sensor between the outlets which can be used for A/F tuning.

Stay away from the L28 manifolds of '75-'78 as they are strictly emissions-control design and not performance-oriented. Regardless of which factory manifold you choose, if it has separate runners for 1-2-3; 4-5-6; paired into separate outlets, street power can be gained by running longer down tubes than stock. The stock 240Z pipes are great except they're too small dia. There are (or were) down pipes available that run down as two large pipes, make the turn to run rearward, and merge into a 2.5" collector about a foot long. I don't know the current mfg, I bought mine from Impact in N.Y. Happy hunting! DAW

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by DAW:

The diesel is in the Maxima, which was called the 810 also in '81 or so, then just called Maxima after that. It had an LD28 available until '84 as far as I know.

Happy hunting! DAW

Thanks tons for the info!