HybridZ

VQ35DE in "71" z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was considering dropping a "2001" Nissan Pathfinder VQ35DE engine in a "71"z. It puts out 250hp stock,is 3.3 liters, is all aluminum, has 24valves and I believe will be the motor going into the new Z (but putting out about 300hp). Does anyone know how much a motor like this would cost and how difficult it would be to install. Any ideas or suggestions.

Guest Anonymous

I'm pretty sure any normal nissan transmission will bolt right up to it like they do to all other nissan engines, but you might wanna check on that first!

Being new and rarely found in junkyards since they're so new it'll be very expensive(relative to a vg V6 or something else). If you can find one I wouldn't be surprised if they want up to $2k or more for it and all the wiring/electronics stuff you'd need.

Guest Anonymous

I believe the Cima has a vg30dt engine, same as Z32 300ZX but with only 1 turbo.

You got all that nasty crossover exhaust plumbing and garbage to worry about. If I was doing that I"d just go with a dual turbo engine - simpler, cheaper, and you can get parts for it from any dealer in the US.

------------------

Morgan morgan@z31.com

http://carfiche.com

http://z31.com

Guest Anonymous

I think the Cima has a 266HP V8 and is similar to the Infinity Q45. The Gloria has the VQ30DE w/ 240hp and VQ30DET w/280hp. This version of the VQ30DE has more hp than the US version in the Maxima. I've contacted a couple of engine importers who can get a hold of these engines.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I am an Infiniti parts manager. The cost for a new VQ35de engine is $7193. That is just the long block. Add the transmission, for $3k more, plus wiring @$2400, Plus ancillary brackets, and you are talking $15k easy. Not my cup of tea for only 100hp over stock.

Guest Anonymous

I was hoping that one would turn up in the salvage yard within a year. I realize purchasing a brand new engine would be quite expensive. I was also considering the VQ30DE but I am not sure what complications I would run into (and $$$) trying to place a fwd engine in a rwd car. Any suggestions? Perhaps the Infiniti V8 or Lexus V8 would be better options.

Guest Anonymous

Todd there has been much talk about putting a Q45 engine in an early Z, but let me warn you, you must install all of the rest of the drivetrain components as well, or you faace certain destruction of the driveline. BTW, at the 80k plus mark, you should bee awaare that the Q45 engine faaces several problems, mainly from the valve train area. Rockers and lifters go bad, in one case the rocker aarm came out and blew a hole through the rocker cover. Just so you know... K.

Doesn't the VQ35DE have the same bolt hole as the VG30-33 . You might be lucky nissan may gone with the same tranny when they went with the pathfinder . If so you could possibly bolt on a Z31 turbo tranny It would probably be best to use OEM computer since it has VVT and I am not sure how the stage intake is controlled .

Install problems should be minimal but cost will be the big issue . There are engines with more power but this one I really like the range of power .

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

Shoot, I checked that site out and I found a few VQ35DE's. I've already purchased a SR20DET for my 240Z. Hmm, gotta do some thinking. The VQ parts would be easier to find than the SR but the SR is lighter, more compact and has more potential.