HybridZ

Carb options

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Right now I have a Holley 8007 390 cfm 4 bbl carb sitting atop my 6 with a very bad dead spot. I have already rebuilt the damn thing 2 times... what are my options, I really dont know much about carbs so I need help... What other choices to I have besides Holley. Right now I need a cheap fix because I plan on getting a 2.8 T

BTW it is a 240..

Any and all help is needed....

I think your best option is to get a set of SUs and put them on. I had a holley 4bbl many years ago and knew nothing about carbs so I traded a guy some parts and he put SUs on mine. Much better and once I got the ZTherapy video I was able to tune/rebuild them myself. Keep an eye out on the buy/sell forum here, at zcar.com and 240z.org, etc, even eBay and you should be able to get a setup for $100 to $250. As long as the throttle shafts aren't worn out (vacuum leaks) they can be rebuilt for cheap.

Good Luck!

Guest Anonymous

I changed over my 260Z to a Holley 390 this past year and it also had a "flat spot" in the throttle. Keep in mind this is a universal carb and it needs to be tuned for your motor. Going from the 6.5 to a 8.5 power valve fixed the problem for me (means it starts pumping in extra fuel at a higher manifold vacuum level - manifold vacuum is high at idle/cruising and drops when you give it throttle). I drove the car around with a vacuum gauge hooked up to figure out what vacuum level I needed more fuel at.

Best advice is thoughly read the Holley tuning instructions and maybe buy a book on the subject too.

Good luck!