HybridZ

one-wire alternator wiring

Guest zaaron

Guest zaaron

Can anyone help me out? I am replacing the alternator in my 72 240Z (stock L24) with a 1-wire GM replacement using Craig Borden's bracket (http://www.zcarcreations.com). Before I turn it on, I want to make sure I have the wiring right. I think I just need to run the one wire from the alternator post to the battery positive terminal with the appropriate fusible link inline.

What do I do with the voltage regulator leads? Do I just pull the regulator out and tape everything off so I don't get a short? Or do I need to jumper anything? I tried looking at the wiring diagram but I couldn't figure it out. Hopefully someone here has done this already and can tell me what they did.

Thanks,

Aaron :confused:

I followed the diagram I think your talking about, http://www.zcarcreations.com/howto/voltreg.htm,

. Which is basically connecting white/red to white/black and then connecting yellow to white/blue, where these would go into the regulator, but as mentioned in his article, if your regulator has been switched out before then you may have to determine if these wire color codes are correct tracing them back into the harness.

I cut the wires off the regulator so I could do the mods to it instead of the existing car harness. I used the existing wires leading to the alternator with the fusable link inline and then had it checked at my local parts vendor for proper function. Enjoy

email if you need more walk through.

Guest zaaron

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of questions still. First of all, I think I misunderstood the diagram at zcarcreations. So what I think I want is one wire (with fusible link) from the alternator to the battery. Then I want to disconnect my voltage regulator and jumper those two sets of wires in the harness connector. Is that what it means? So I still use only one wire to the alternator? I have a 72 so I don't have a charge light, and it is a one-wire alternator so I don't need a second wire for field sensing or anything.

Does your 74 have a volt or amp meter? If it is an ammeter did you disconnect it?

Thanks again for all the help.