HybridZ

Your opinion on doing this swap

Guest Philanthr0py

Guest Philanthr0py

sup guys, Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

ok here's my dilemma, I have a 77 280z(4 speed) that doesn't run and I have a 73 240z(5 speed) that runs crappy. I plan to get rid of the 77 so i'm gonna swap all the good body panels over, but i'm not sure what I should swap over in terms of engine, fuel injectors(preferred), transmission, and drive train. Any opinions? What parts are better in the 280z that I can swap over?

Guest bastaad525

A lot of patience and attention to detail :D

From what I've seen it's not necessarily 'hard' work but it is tedious and time consuming, figuring out all the wiring and everything that needs to be transferred.

Guest Z-rific

There are a lot of advantages of using FI.

Typically, you get better start up, better fuel economy, no fuel starvation in very hard cornering, consistent fuel delivery at any weather/altitude condition, and very consistent performance.

BUT...depending on your situation, you may want to use the intake and dual carbs off your 240. Before I dropped the V8 in my 280, I was going to go this route. Reasons?

My FI system was very corroded and my injectors needed replacing. And, with the mods I was considering, my FI would need improving, via a larger throttle body, injectors or whatever. So I was going to go with SU's modified to deliver more fuel. (And maybe more than anything, I just love carbs!)

If you want the FI, you will need all the wiring (document everything to death), the computer, all the various sensors, and the fuel pump. The FI fuel pump from your 280 delivers much higher pressure than the 240. You may have to re-wire the ignition and relays, I'm not sure. Anyway a bunch of people have done this so keep asking around. The forum at zcar.com should have many threads on this topic.

Also, keep in mind, you can drop the intake and carbs from the 240 on the 280 with appropriate gaskets and eliminate emmisions, computer and realted wiring. If you go this route, start reading all topics on round top SU's.

Guest 240hybrid

Zrific had it right, but I see that no one said to make sure you grab the fuel tank along with the pump if going with the F/I motor. I ran 73 240 tank with 75 F/I motor and would sputter and gasp when cornering hard with 1/4 tank and lower with 240 tank. It doesnt have enough baffles for the fuel injection to keep air out of the lines while the fuel goes side to side. Later F/I tanks have sufficent baffles to rid your F/I from gasping for fuel. 2thumbs.gif Overall the conversion of a F/I to a 240 isnt too hard execpt for the harness. I had the motors swapped out in about a day to a day and a half of constant work that includes pulling the fuel injection harness,brain, but you also need majority of the harness going into the dash that leads to the column and dash gauges, this harness also wires up lights, horns, starter--majority of the electronics of the car basicly. If you label every connection and make sure not to tear up your harnesses when removing and installing you can do the swap and have a running car in about a week and a half to 2 weeks easy. I did the whole thing during xmas vacation last year. What a way to spend a vacation, actually I enjoyed the process, learned alot about the whole car. Then I decided to remove that and decided on hail.gif builtup 280zxt. It never ends