HybridZ

z31 na engine in a 280zx na

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i posted this in the 6cyl. board but it appears nobody cares!

i have a 84 na engine and tranny that i got for free. it needs rebuilt.

my current 82 engine realy needs a rebuild.

no matter what engine i chose im upgrading the tranny, and diff. and anything else that should be upgraded for a big horespower engine.

im sure the v6 engine will fit in the 280zx.. but how easy will it be to install fully? i dont want to have to change the rear end at all! i want the same 4 lug bolt pattern so i dont have to get new rims or have a set of 5 lug and a set of 4 lugs, eww.

thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by eurozx:

i posted this in the 6cyl. board but it appears nobody cares!

i have a 84 na engine and tranny that i got for free. it needs rebuilt.

my current 82 engine realy needs a rebuild.

no matter what engine i chose im upgrading the tranny, and diff. and anything else that should be upgraded for a big horespower engine.

im sure the v6 engine will fit in the 280zx.. but how easy will it be to install fully? i dont want to have to change the rear end at all! i want the same 4 lug bolt pattern so i dont have to get new rims or have a set of 5 lug and a set of 4 lugs, eww.

thanks.

Quick comments:

1) what do you want out of your 'new' setup for goals/power/torque etc? NOONE has used a VG30NA for a swap that I know of except for 510's for whom their is a full kit for doing it. It's not exuding power so why rebiult it? You'd get more IMO for same $ with a 280ZXT motor hopped up somewhat (more boost/plumb cheap intercooler etc)

2)your diff should be fine, only change might be in ratios if you want some cheap torque/$ (you have a 3.54 ratio, going to a 4.11 nets 16% gain)

3) those VG motors are NOT EASY to work on, I wouldnt' take a free running one other than to sell it unless it's OE power was fine 4 my use, changing plugs is hassle

4) I like keeping things fairly simple, my plugs come in and out in <30minutes, can take that long to do one on a VG30.

5)your R200 diff is fine for the power etc, if you did change rear bolt pattern it's easy to convert the front over as well (use the 5 lug front 300 hubs, bolt on, then sort out a rotor issue and wheels)

Lastly, the only question you really asked above was how hard it would be to do a full install on a VG30 in a 280zx which noone AFAIK has done hence no answer. It's often easier to decide on what you want overall (if we know we can help) list out the options and then go from their understanding the consequences of your chosen route prior to purchases.