HybridZ

Dyno limitations

Arif

quote:

Originally posted by Arif:

Still fine tuning my SDS and was wondering what exactly can be done if I decide to take my Z to a dyno shop. For instance can I program the MAP/fuel/ign for different boost settings off of a dyno run? Will it tell me were I'm rich or lean at, etc?

Most of the Dynojet shops have the capability to datalog an exhaust gas analyzer, along with engine RPM. I'm not sure if they can log manifold pressure or not. The resulting plot should give you a pretty good idea as to where you are rich or lean. Check with your dyno shop to make sure that they have this capability - if they don't, find somebody that does (if possible).

As far as ignition timing, you are kind of on your own, unless somebody else has some ideas. About all you can do is to take a baseline run, then change the timing incrementally, do another run, and see if it helped or not. Of course, you really need to be careful to not detonate.

Give yourself enough time between runs to allow the intake air temps to equalize - it's a good idea to check the manifold air temp (I'm assuming the SDS has this input) before starting the baseline, and then make sure that you are at or near this temp at the beginning of each subsequent run. Otherwise, you'll have a very difficult time figuring out what helps and what doesn't - intake air temps can make a big difference in your results on a turbo motor, and can easily mask any changes brought about by tuning the ign/fuel curves.