HybridZ

3.8 Ford SC Motor - T-5 or 2.3 Merkur Motor: Anybody tried i

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Has anybody seen a 3.8 L Ford SuperCoupe Motor with a 5spd in a Z? Stuff i've read says 230 HP stock without playing with pulleys and you get to play with the intercooler too!

The 2.3 Ford Turbo looks cheap too (around $300 running) with easy 250 HP potential and most mods look like junkyard finds (turboCoupe Vane meter etc). Lots of Merkurs in junkyards too!

Any comments on these idears?

------------------

William Alcorn

Wichita Falls, TX

"Takeoffs are optional, Landings are mandatory"

Guest Anonymous

A 4 banger turbo ford? 250 horsepower? You can get more than that from a l28t for similar price and probably have better reliability. ie. it'd be a lot of work for less performance than you could get from an easier swap.

Is that 3.8 a 90 deg v6 engine? If so, I'd skip it. 90 deg is the worst angle for a v6 engine! They only made them so that they could continue to use their 90 deg v8 tooling on the v6 engines.

Why not just a v8? Similar price, much better power, and much more potential.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

the v6 wouldnt be bad but it needs a bigger radiator than the one it came with.v6 is kind if rough running cause it has no balence shaft.blows head gaskits if it gets hot cause it has aluminum heads.i know cause i work as a tech at a ford dealer.my boss tried to run a sc tbird in a drivers school at sears point and it overheated after 3/4 of a lap.best 4cyl is 87-88 turbo coupe unit and that would be ok in early z and be very easy to work on .good luck on your swap.i have been on the lookout at pick&pull for a tbird sc supercharger though-should work good on a l28t engine instead of turbo.

Guest John Adkins

The Buick GN Turbo V6 is a 90 degree engine. That fact doesn't seem to stop it from a VERY high output engine..... (ask Scottie-GNZ !) John Scott has a 4.3L 90 degree Chevy V6 that runs pretty good too...

quote:

Originally posted by Morgan:

Is that 3.8 a 90 deg v6 engine? If so, I'd skip it. 90 deg is the worst angle for a v6 engine! They only made them so that they could continue to use their 90 deg v8 tooling on the v6 engines.

Skip the SC motors, trust me. They have head gasket problems and when you spin the superchargers harder they run into heat issues on the intake charge. I've seen a couple come through my friend's shop with badly blown head gaskets and at least 2 have required new motors. No thanks!

2.3Turbo? Now you've got some potential! However I think you'd find still more powerless work with a GN or Turbo L6 instead. The 2.3 can be made to build great power, just ask your local circle track guys who run 7Krpm all night, but for the amount of work involved I'd think you'd be happier with another motor.

Guest Anonymous

Don't they also not generally spin above 5k rpm or so?

They make power because they are over 4 liters and heavily turbocharged! Pump any 4+ liter engine up to 15psi and you'll get heaps of power.

quote:

Originally posted by John Adkins:

The Buick GN Turbo V6 is a 90 degree engine. That fact doesn't seem to stop it from a VERY high output engine..... (ask Scottie-GNZ !) John Scott has a 4.3L 90 degree Chevy V6 that runs pretty good too...

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com