HybridZ

Altanators/what to run?

Guest zfan

I,ve got a 65 amp hatachi altanater in my 355 Z. The problem is with add ons such as MSD Ignition, holley electric fuel pump, Taurus two speed fan, stereo etc.. My car will not idle and runs like crap. I know msd is sensitive to power draw, not enough and watch out. Last night the car would barely run. When all is on the amp draw is just too much for the current alt. Anyone had this problem? And if so did you cure it by upgrading to bigger amp alt. Am thinking of stepping up to something from Summit in the 90 to 110 amp range. Do not think it is the battery as after charging sufficiently the car runs ok for 5 to 10 minutes and then craps out again. Just not getting a good enough return charge I believe. Mike

Msd's do take alot of juice but did you check your alt to see if it was working properly. Your alt may not be putting out any amperage at idle but when you rev it up it is putting out enough to keep the Bat charged. This will be easy to check, The other question is how big is the wire going away from your alt and where are you feeding the MSD from????

BTW

The gm alts are better they handle load and jump starting alot better than the Hitachi. I would convert to a GM HD alt 105amp or bigger. they put out 35 to 40 amps at idle.. more than you will ever need...

Good luck....

------------------

Remember it is only a piece of metal.

Guest Anonymous

You might be able to get away with putting on a smaller diameter pulley to increase the output at lower rev's. That's if the alternator works OK at higher rev's.

Guest Fast Frog

Mike:

I've got a 65 amp one wire Delco in my setup and I run an MSD6A, Black Magic 150 elect fan, Accel DFI sys and a modest stereo sys with a small bazooka woofer. I've had no problems. But I also do not have AC.

Rick

Guest Anonymous

Be careful with putting the smaller pulleys on your alternator. Just be mindful of the rpms that you will be revving to. Also, in putting the GM alts on my L6 I have found that the small March pulley combined with the solid plastic cooling fan on the alt is not a good thing. I have experienced lots of vibration with the plastic fan. I suggest sticking with the metal fans on the alternator. I plan on ordering the Summit Racing billet fan and pulley for my alt this week.

Craig