HybridZ

anyone done or looked into a Z32TT into a Z31 chassis?? frie

It's a rather unique rod setup he's got a big interest in doing. A friend of his has a 400hp or more fully custom Z31 setup so he's aware of it's strengths. It'd cost a lot more motorwise to build a Z31 to Z32 outputs if you get the Z32TT powertrain cheap I'm guessing. Nice to keep OE ECU as well(not my arena, you wouldn't find me touching anything with more wires than valves;^)

Ross, I can understand the fascination of the TT, but just the mere mention of the word "cheap" implies there are some budget constraints.

Before you guys go off on a TT tangent, first understand everything involved in doing that swap and account for every expense. I came very close to doing that swap in my '71 and was able to get the drivetrain for a reasonable price. After I did complete analysis of the swap, the cost of the drivetrain accounted for less than half the total cost. You have to contend with electronics (a big deal with the TT), and remember the 1st "T" means Twin, not just twin turbos, but twin everything. The turbo plumbing was too much of a challenge.

I am also a big fan of the Z31T. Unless you just have to have "that look", I would freshen up the bottom-end, port the heads, get a decent turbo, I/C, exhaust and upgrade the fuel system. That will match or exceed a stock TT and you will have money left over for "show".

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

quote:

Originally posted by Scottie-GNZ:

Ross, I can understand the fascination of the TT, but just the mere mention of the word "cheap" implies there are some budget constraints.

Hey you won't find me on a TT tangent:-) Kicking their heavy asses isn't so hard IMO.

I probably already got too deep in this thread already. My friend isn't looking for other mod options for the 84-86 Z31. The TT came up and he's been thinking about it for a while. He is not cheap and not a newcomer to spending money. He has two award winning full resto's including a gold 260Z (from Albuquerque if anyone remembers) and a 84 300ZX AE. So he knows what goes into a proper resto. I don't think he wants to get into messing with engine internals (I'd ask him but we swap emails late at night). So if noone has done a TT into a Z31 then that most likely answers his q. This was not the usual 'justify' this swap type of q. I already delivered opinions echoing many above last summer when he first mentioned it. His efforts are a labour of love, not one of picking the easiest/cheapest route neccessarily. Having done two wicked resto's he's toying with what concept he wants his first 'rod' to be.

I appreciate and I'm sure he appreciates as well the great opinions coming out so no offense intended.

Ross, have you talked to Dan Giroux about it? he's in your neck of the woods (Surrey) and his personal project car is a 72? that he is putting a TT drivetrain into. He's an ex-nissan tech, owner of "The Z shop" in surrey, and a member of the BCZR too... I can give you his addy and phone number if you email me.

------------------

"THE STREETS WILL FLOW WITH THE OIL OF THE NON-BELIEVERS"

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

quote:

Originally posted by Drax240z:

Ross, have you talked to Dan Giroux about it?

No, but I know Danny pretty well of 'Poopy Head Motors' (seen his bus. card:-)? My friend looking into this swap knows Danny quite well and we've been over their numerous times throughout his 'gradual' (yrs+) planned/ongoing swap TT into his Z.

nice pic Morgan BTW, a friend Dave Lum in Bearverton Oregon has a VG30DE in his 510 (only twin cammer I know of in a 510, their's several single cam setups including the kit), I won't reply to the 'silly' comment though, if we all thought/felt the same this world would get v. boring v. fast

• 6 months later...
Guest MegaShaft_2000

For the VG30DETT, once you want more than the ~400 hp limit of the stock injectors, you'll need new injectors ($1100), then you'll want to buy new turbo's, and you need 2 of them, then you'll need to upgrade 2 intercoolers, then there are dual air intakes, and if you want blow off valves, you need 2 also.

So for just 400hp, it's easy on a twin turbo VG30DETT. The stock engine, with just increased boost, intake, exhaust and ECU will get you 400hp.

For the VG30ET to get 400hp, you'll need to replace its turbo, get intake, exhaust, and ECU, and increase the boost.

400hp is cheaper for the Twin Turbo engine (assuming you already have one, if you have to buy it, that's a different story), but once you go over that amount, be prepared to buy 2 of everything, whereas the VG30ET will only require 1 of everything.

I'm not sure how much the VG30ET's internals can handle, but the VG30DETT can handle 600hp on stock internals.

If you plan on going over that amount, parts for the VG30ET will be cheaper and you'll only need 1 of each

Guest MegaShaft_2000

quote:

Originally posted by Morgan:

Like everything else, it of course has been done. But it's still kinda a silly idea. There was a 300zr in japan that came stock with a non turbo vg30d engine by the way.

z31-vg30dtt.jpg

They must have done a lot of work to get that engine in there, or they just did a lot of work to that engine.

I noticed that they relocated the turbo's.