HybridZ

nissan alloy v8?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone know anything about the Niss V8 and its' possible application to the 260z? I am looking to build a go fast z but havent come across the right engine yet. I want efi and a lightweight engine if possible.

The Infinity Q45 V8 is an all alloy motor with twin OHC heads. The one in my '90 Q45 puts out an estimated 278 hp. It redlines at 7000rpm and is a smooth motor. It comes with an automatic tranny, and I have NO idea if a 300ZX tranny will bolt up to the little monster. It moves that huge car really well, so in a smaller lighter Z it would be sooo much fun! I think you'll be blazing a trail here because I have not heard of anyone else doing the swap before.

Don't the V8 Holdens have 5.7L V8 engines with aluminum heads? Is that too heavy of a motor for you? How about the Rover V8? There are some Aussies that have done the swap and it really looks good.

David

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, Holden v8 is an option, theyre cheap to build and go like stink, but I want efi if im going the V8 route, and a stock alloy block and heads would save dough later on.

The 5.7L engine in the newer Holdens is still carbed???? Wow? I didn't expect that at all, because all engines have been FI since the late 1980's I think. This was to increase gas mileage and reduce/control emissions. I assumed the Aussies were even "greener" than we were! icon_smile.gif

David

Guest Anonymous

...and the current Holden 5.7 is actually the Chev all-alloy V8 (you guys call it the LS1 over there, yeah?), straight off the boat from the US. We call it the "Gen. III" here.

Nick, you can inject either the Rover or Leyland V8. But they are pushrod, and OHC V8 is definitely more attractive. But not cheap to get going, IMHO.

There's a guy on the board (Richard, I think?) who's building a Lexus V8 Z, up in Sydney (?). He may want to jump in and describe his method/estimated $.....