HybridZ

Opinions of Fuel Tank Condition

I was rebuilding my SU carbs and my "last chance" filters where the fuel enters the float bowl had lots of brown stuff all over it.  I took that to mean that I probably had corrosion in my fuel tank.  So I dropped the fuel tank to do some type of cleaning/flushing and an interior coating.

So I dropped the tank, and this is what it looks like inside.  There appears to be some type of coating inside already.  Anyone that has done the Eastwood or POR15 or other coating.  Can you identify what this coating may be?  Does it look like a coating that anyone has used?

At first glance it appears to be fairly clean.  I have not flushed the tank with water or anything yet to see what comes out.  The fuel that came out appeared to be clean.  I will certainly do that when I have some time and the weather is better.  My other question is, if it already has some type of coating (that appears to be intact), should I just flush it out with water and maybe some type of cleaner and leave it (saving money)?  Or, now that I have it out, should I strip the current coating and re-coat?  Maybe have a shop use the RENU system as I had been planning?

Thanks for any advicepost-45128-0-21422800-1422620745_thumb.jpg.

Edited by Verruckt32

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Volken.  I took the tank to a shop that does the RENU process to get his opinion.  He looked at it, told me that he thought the product used was Kreem.  He said that it looked good to him, and said that he would flush it with mineral spirits and water and put the tank back in.  So in the interest of saving the money for other things, I will do that.