HybridZ

EFI info

BLKMGK

Guest Anonymous

BLKMGK: I went through the decision process you are going through earlier in the year. I am in the process of going to EFI on my 347 V8Z. But first a question: Why do you want to use a carb (TBI) style manifold with a 4 barrel TB? Why not get a modern TPI plenum-and-runner style manifold such as the TFS Street Heat (the one I will be using) of the Holley Systemmax? Then you will have the benefits of tuned length intake runners for better low and mid range torque and efficiency. I decided to mount my upper manifold backwards from late-model mustangs by putting the plenum on the right and the throttle body on the left. That way I can get cold air from the left side of the cowl and even put the air cleaner in there.

As for an ECU, I originally wanted to use the Ford EEC-IV, but after reading all of the Corral.net messages about the trouble it takes to get that to work with a moderately modded engine, I decided to go for a totally programmable system. I love the idea of total control anyway. About using a Chevy ECU I can't comment. I will be using the Holley Commander 950 ECU system. I wish I could say that it's running right now but I had to leave town on a temp job and didn't get it running in time. I would like to hear from others that use the Holley C 950. It is only, if I remember right, $835 from Summit, and it's got all the sensors, harnesses, ox, idle control, etc. All the parameters (on a 16x16 data point matrix) are programmable. Stay tuned for when I get time to get it working.

As it turns out the OEM computer isn't going to work out - duplicating the Optispark signal is too expensivedifficult and in th eend it was too costly. I'll be using the FAST or DFI GEN7 instead but I've not decided which. It won't be cheap but it will have WideBand O2 which makes tuning a snap.

As for the carb intake - first I will NOT be using TBI - it will be converted ot multiport injection. The reason why this is preferable is that those niced tuned runners on the OEM intake are built for TORQUE not horsepower. They tend to run out of air at upper RPMs and larger cube engines make this worse. In the SBC world intakes are way too expensive too IMO, the TPIS MiniRam is pretty cool but it's over a grand icon_eek.gif Even the Mustang guys looking for high power wind up with box intakes or Spyders - the stock style stuff just doesn't do it. I've got a spare Victor Jr. hanging around that I can get converted fairly cheaply, I'll use a Ford throttle body (used $100). That's WAY cheaper than the $500 carb styles or $300+ TPI types icon_smile.gif

Heh, I've already got pump, filter, and regulator on the way and I'm talking to someone about a TB. Just have to figure out the ECU.... icon_confused.gif