HybridZ

Howe 24 1/2" radiator vs. Griffin 24" radiator

I cannot comment on the Howe radiators. Ive had a 24x19 Griffith for 1 and 1/2 years with no problems (knock on wood) car runs cool. Im running a 350 sbc 30 over with pretty healthy set up and a 700r4 trans. Not run thru radiator, it has its own trans cooler.

zfan...Mike

I've got a Howe radiator - working fine. Check my site for some pics of it. Can whip up some measurements if you'd like. If you're finding the Griffin nearly as cheap it's as good but I never found them that cheap. The Howe has nice flat tanks that are easy to polish up though icon_biggrin.gif

Guest lamar32

I just ordered a griffin from pit stop. I orginallly was ordering a howe but he informed the griffin was $25 cheaper and there really wasn't a difference. So I picked the griffin up for 164.00 and a nice overflow tank for the same price as the howe and saved $8.

I know there's been some discussion about aluminum radiators (thanks guys for your replies to my previous topic!) and Mike scca recently said that he prefers the Howe radiator over the Griffin. Why is this? I can get the Griffin from Summit for $181 and the Howe from Pit Stop USA for $189. It's a half inch wider. No big deal, should still fit, right? Both are all aluminum and both are TIG welded so I don't think one has an advantage over the other without comparing the two. I probably couldn't tell the difference anyway. What do you guys think?

the difference is in the look and (i think) quality.

the HOWE has hand formed end tanks they "appear" to be stronger than the Griffin ones.

i also prefer the squared end tank look.

the Griffin end tanks are stamped or cast pieces and just look cheap(er). IMO.

AFAIK only Griffin has the stamped end tanks, Fluidyne, Ron Davis ---etc all look like the Howe units. i would have bought a RDavis rad but the local racer supply was out of stock so i just ordered a howe as it was cheaper with freight.