HybridZ

swapping 1983 zx turbo eng into 1977 280z

Guest juliangall

Guest juliangall

I have an opportunity to buy a low milage 1983 Zx turbo engine and 5 speed trans.I have a 1977 280z that has no engine and trans, and I was thinking about swapping the 1983 turbo engine into this car. I live in California, so I have to be very concerned about the smog issues. If I have all of the factory parts still on the turbo engine, and it is a stock engine, do I have to worry about anything relative to the conversion? Do I have to put cats on the car that are for the 1983 engine? Lastly, is this an easy swap to do, or am I looking for trouble? My options are to do this swap, do a v8 swap, or put in a standard 280z engine. All comments would be appreciated. Thanks Julian

Julian,

The '77 car will be legal with the '83 engine since it is considered an upgrade by the State of CA--engine has to be same year as the car or newer. If your '77 has a catalytic converter, you are stuck with one. If, however, it does not have one, you will not need to install one. Why? The State looks at cats as part of the chassis, not then engine. If your chassis does not have one, installing a new one could be hazardous in that the heat from the cat could start a fire inside the car since your chassis has no heat shield for it. The State looks out for us there at least.

Davy

Guest juliangall

Scotty

I am really happy to hear that it might not be as difficult as I thought. I may take you up on your offer to e-mail you if I have any questions.

Thanks again

Julian