HybridZ

RB30DE

RB30-ZED

Guest Tim78zt

OK, Steve, you got me!! I was alright until I saw the cross-flow head!! Then I lost it. At least you had the decency not to include one of your gorgeous Aussie women in the pics. Thanks for making me wish I lived somewhere other than Texas (and THAT is pretty hard to do!!)!!! I'm going to get a mop to wipe up all the drool now.

Oh, I want to know more about that supercharger too!!

Cheers!

Tim78zt

Sorry Tim i'll go back and add some women smile.gif

The supercharger was a toyota sc14 from the six cylinder two litre toyota, it has a out put of 1400cc per rev. I ran it at 8psi. It had fantastic bottom end and midrange, but was a bit flat at the top end due to inlet temp and pumping losses. 0-60 in 6.5sec's in first or 7sec's taking off in second gear, Very strong bottom end power.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Well people will tell you that nissan never made one, but they did use a RB30DE in a very limited number of Japanise R31 skylines. But the easiest way to get one is to build one.

In Australia all our R31 skylines had RB30E motors and a deal was done for General Motors Holden (G.M.H.)Australia to use the same engine in the Holden Commadore VL, which is a 4 door family sedan. Holden also had Nissan supply a RB30ET for the VL turbo. The only other source of RB30's that i know of is the Nissan Patrol 4WD.

The RB25DE head is a direct replacement for the RB30 head except if it has Variable Valve timing.With the VVT RB25 head you have to run a external oil feed to the front of the head to supply presure to the VVT actuator. All water gallaries line up and the bore size is the same 86mm for the RB30 and RB25 engines (85mm stroke for the RB30).The cam belt tenioner needs to be shifted and a new section of belt cover made up to fill in the 40mm's or so gap that the taller block adds.

I used the RB25 N/A pistons which lift the compression ratio to 10.5:1.

The RB30 block is dirt cheap here in Australia, as the single cam head that was fitted use to crack, so there are lots of blocks sitting around in yards.

Steve

Guest Azel

RB30DE,

Just wondering how capable this new hybrid motor of yours is. I'm assuming that with the half-liter advantage this motor is more capable than and RB26. How strong are the internals? Is it identical to the RB26 mechanically? Also, how about the drivetrain? Could this motor be mated to a Skyline GTR's 4WD system? Thanks a bunch.