HybridZ

Gas tank modifications for a V8 240Z...

Jwink25

I need a way to to modify my gas tank for my V8 Z.

First thing I need to know is...all the vent pulmbing and over flow tank stuff, can it be thrown away? I am not even sure I have all the pieces to it. Can I then just put in a roll over vent valve on the top of the gas tank? Like the ones used on a fuel cell?

Second thing is... if I need a larger fuel line opening, can I just drill out the old fuel line fitting and JB weld in a larger one.

Also, I don't really need a fuel return line, I do?

Thanks guys!

Jason Winkfield

Carb, or FI? How much HP are you planning on. If you plan on running a carb with a mild V8 no changes are needed. If you will be using the 289 in your signature, you should be fine with the stock lines.

Carb needs no return but FI does. FI also has special tank considerations. You need baffles or a purg tank to ensure you don't have fuel starvation.

I never understood why the Z needed such a complex venting system. Lots of guys here simplify it.

Any mods you do to your tank need to be done with care not to cause heat or sparks (loud noises and bright lights followed by nice people in medical smocks nono.gif ), i.e. don't drill, grind, or saw.

I'll be running about 300HP or so. Yes, I'll be using the 289 Ford small block. It will have a carb on it...no fuel injection.

Can I just get rid of all the tubes and that plastic tank? :confused: My gas tank has been out of the car for almost 2 years and is completely empty of fuel. I washed it out with soap and water and dried it out with my air compressor. I should be safe... flamedevil.gif I hope! :D

I need to know if I get rid of all those hoses and what not, if I can then just put in a roll over vent valve. Like the ones in full cells. Would that work? The fuel tank does need to be vented doesn't it? Or can I just plug up everything? Wouldn't that cause problems with the fuel being able to leave the tank...after the vacume built up?

Thanks!

Jason

I got rid of all my little hoses, and the small tank, mine was metal. I welded all the holes on the gas tank shut except the one on the top facing the front of the car. I ran a small hose from there to the small hose connection on the down spout that went to the small tank. This is now my vent. I drilled two small holes in the gas cap to help vent, even though the Z cap does not seal that well. It seams to work fine.