HybridZ

Help, search engine not working...

Guest Ian turbo240

Guest Ian turbo240

Asside from that problem, I heard that someone on this board has done an Infiniti VH45DE engine in a Z car. Any info on that would be appreicated. I'm looking into that swap for a 1971 240Z. Thanks in advance.

Ian

Guest Ian turbo240

Well, it seems I've answered my own question. I searched the forum and no-one seems to have a running vh45de-powered 240Z. I can offer some info though. The VG30DE engine does not share the same bellhousing config as the VH45DE. However, the VG flywheel will bolt up to the VH45.I have recently completed an engine swap on a 1991 Q45. I was able to make some measurements of the engine as it sat on the engine stand. The width of the widest part of the engine including accessories is 29". The heigh of the engine (from oil pan bottom to intake manifold top) is also 29". The length of the engine is about 24" (I can't remember exactly). Anyway, the main problem is clearance to the hood. With the engine in the car and oil pan level with the crossmember, it would stick out of the engine bay by quite a bit. On option is to convert to a dry sump so that the engine could be dropped lower in the car. One other clearance issue is the location of the alternator and a/c and p/s units. The alt and a/c comp are located on the passenger side below the cylinder head. The p/s pump is located on the driver's side blow the left cyl head. These accessories are about 28" wide when mounted to the engine. That means that frame modification will be required to fit these accessories in thier stock vh45de location. For my project, I would like to keep a/c and add p/s if possible, to keeping these accessories is essential.

The other problem is that there is no manual transmission on this planet that will bolt directly to the VH45DE without modification or adaptor. However, that's never stopped anyone before. Alternatively, the car would be no slouch with the automatic. It's just a really big automatic. I don't know if it would physically fit in the Z's trans tunnel.

Anyway, these are the things I have found so far. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Ian