HybridZ

Aurora V8 4.0L engine

dpwong

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Is it true that using the Aurora mill is tough since GM has kept the control module, CPU, etc. under wraps? My street machine bud's recommend FORD DOHC 4.5's due to open engineering archetechure. From what I hear most who want a DOHC engines stay away from Aurora's. However, they really look like a dynamite engine.

• 1 month later...
Guest Tht1KSguy

The Aurora 4.0 is very similar to the Northstar 4.6L I know it has a smaller bore, not sure about stroke. The T5 from '93+ V6 Fbody's bolts up directly as does the overdrive auto from the same cars and the 700R4 from any 2.8L S-10. The main difficulty would be switching to a remote water pump since in the rear drive position the water pump would be against the firewall. Also you can't use the stock computer. Chrfab.com makes a Commander 950 system that plugs into the Northstar for $1300 I'd guess it would work the same for the 4.0L. I'm currently in the process of buying JAMIE T's Northstar to drop into a Fiero. Now I just need to come up w/ an '88GT.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I guess this isn't really useful since you don't need a whole car, but...

My boss will be putting his 98 Aurora up on e-bay this weekend. He says he's only looking to get $3500 or so. It has 130k on it, and he's getting rid of it because:

It had a persistent coolant leak that his mechanic says is probably due to a leaking head gasket that is causing way too much pressure in the cooling system.

It supposedly will need a new evaporator core soon...?

I have no more details. I'll post the auction link when I get it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tht1KSguy

405lbs give or take. That's what I've read anyway. Aluminum block and heads, steel internals and a magnesium or plastic intake depending on year. I would assume the 4.0 and 4.6 weigh virtually the same since only internals are changed.