HybridZ

VH45DE fits in 240SX!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, it's been ages since I've posted here.

I've been frequenting another Nissan board, NICO (also known as NissanInfinitiClub.com).

FYI, I happen to own two Infiniti Q45's (one a daily driver I'm on the verge of selling, the other a parts car I've been cannabalizing).

So the parts car's new permanent home is my buddy's shop. My newly-acquired '89 240SX's also been sitting at the shop, getting rust spots touched up. Also did a clutch job, resealed valve covers, replaced water pump on the KA24DE.

Instead of dropping the tranny like we normally would, we figured it'd save time and trouble by removing the entire engine & tranny.

Meanwhile, I pulled out the VH45DE from the parts Q. With 120k on the odo, I figured it'd be a good idea to pull out the engine, replace the plastic chain guides, replace all under-plenum hoses, spark plugs, ignition coils. Engine mounts are fairly new so they're going on my current my daily driver.

To keep things short, we pulled the engine and I worked on it while the lifts were busy.

Just for kicks, I test fitted the V8 in the 240SX engine bay. IT FITS! It cleared the shock towers by about an inch and a half on either side. The bulge on the driver side also cleared the frame rails. New exhaust manifolds have to be fabbed though, OEM manifolds had to be removed for the engine to fit.

Didn't take pics as I didn't have on handy though...

That's a really really cool idea for the Q45 motor. I would love that as a daily driver. My Q45 is a very nice car, but it is a gas hog, period. A light, fun car like a 240SX would be sooo much fun with all that power on tap, and it would be "all Nissan" lol :D

I may sell the Q45 after this summer and use the money on the 240Z.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Yeah it's a cool idea. Very doable if one had the fabrication skills to do so. A custom oil pan has to fabbed as well, maybe dry sump? While test-fitting, the engine needed to be lowered at least another 6 inches or so but because of the oil pan obstruction, it didn't work. Anyone know someone who can do custom oil pans and flywheels?

LT1 will be cheaper at this point, and I would try that first, but if you have the cash and the time, go the LS1. Since the LT1 is based on a traditional Chevy block, I would think there would be a plethora of custom parts available in the aftermarket. The LS1 well....

Still, either is pretty cool and will have gobs of torque for that car.

Davy

• 1 month later...
Guest Badzx

I agree :D

I've got mine broken down like the picture, but not as pretty !!

In process of cleaning, before rebuild, head and Crank work.

I like the ideal of vh45 in a 240sx :D:D

I may have to change my project car!!

Later