HybridZ

Wtb: 1974 260z clutch pedal assembly

kevikev1984

. I have a 260z that was originally automatic and I'm converting to a manual transmission. Everything I have found to be 240z on it though, the hubs, strut diameter etc. how would I know if my car uses the 240 or 260z pedal assembly? If you have a 260z clutch pedal box assembly please pm me thank you -KEVIN

Since the dashes in the 260 are the later 280 style, I'll bet the pedal box is 280 as well. Look under the dash where the steering column bolts to the dash. If there is two 12mm headed bolts, it's 280. If there are four bolts, its 240. Those bolts actually attach to an extension on the end of the pedal box, the dash is just sandwiched between the column and pedal box with those bolts. Then you can be sure what type of pedal box you need.

You actually only need the clutch pedal and its pivot bolt and return spring. The big auto brake pedal can be trimmed to reduce it, or you can change it for the manual pedal. No need to remove and replace the entire pedal box since that requires the dash to come out.

Edited by z240

To settle this, the micro fiche shows that all Z's from 73-08 (ie ALL 260's) to the end of the 280's have the same pedal box. 73's (up to 73-07) have a unique one compared to 70-72 240s, as the master brake booster increased diameter and the spacing between the brake and clutch master expanded to accomodate it.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/brake/brake-clutch-pedal

Edited by z240

You don't need the whole pedal box. You just need  clutch and brake pedals from a manual car.  You'll need the springs and bolt from the clutch pedal too. They will bolt right in. What I did in my 73 auto. It's my understanding from doing mine that the 73 is the same as the 260z and 280z.  You can verify for yourself by looking up in the box and it has the mounts for the clutch pedal. I know for sure 72 and lower year pedals are different.  The pedal box itself is also different on those early cars.

Edited by Aero Z