HybridZ

SDS and MAP values

Arif

Can someone explain the theory of MAP values of the SDS. I made some changes to the stock settings and the engine responded better. I don't want to get too far into changes until I fully understand the relationship between fuel values and the MAP values. Also when I start the engine I get a bad stumble right off idle when I first start it. After it warms up the response is a lot better Any pointers on how I can clear that up

------------------

http://communities.msn.com/TurboZ

[This message has been edited by Arif (edited December 07, 2000).]

Ok I will give you the little overview on Air / Fuel managment

Mass Airflow: uses a hot wire and a temperature probe . When air passes by the wire it cools the wire and changes the resistance . If we know the volume of air and the flow, then the mass of air is calculated.

MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure): This takes the pressure and temp are used . On a stock engine with no changes to exhaust and intake, the mass of air is known using calibration instruments. This is a very educated guess of the mass of air . When you change parts from stock the guess gets further off and ECU must be programmed . The MAP sensor gives a pressure, the pressure is related to how hard the engine is working . High Vacuum means engine is not working that hard, low vacuum means it's working very hard .

In order to tune your engine the mass of air must be known . Then to tune it you would use 14.7 lbs air to 1 lb of gas to set for a clean running car on the highway . For power when engine is working hard use 13 to 12:1 ratio .

Basically to tune a car with a map sensor what you do is look at the pressure reading and an O2 sensor . For high vacuum reading, adjust fuel to make 02 sensor bounce back and forth . For low vacuum readings make sensor stay on the rich side . 0 bar is high vacuum 1 bar is no vacuum . Math can be used to help guess at what to set fuel at .