HybridZ

in car adjustment air/fuel ratio

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

well, i just got a potentiometer from Radio Shack that i am going to be installing. it goes in between the coolant temp sensor and the ECM. then, from in the car i can make the ECM think that the car is cooler, or warmer than normal. so i can adjust the ECM to give me slightly better gas mileage or more power on demand!! hopefully, i'll be installing it this weekend when i change out my differential. has anyone ever tryed this before?

That won't be just the fuel curve you're fiddling with - you'll be changing timing as well. Honestly, and not to burst your bubble, but I'll be surprised if it nets you much. OEM folks tuned that puppy to the best of their knowledge at the time, if they could've gotten more MPG they probably would have.

Try it and report back though as you'll never know till you try. Is the car mostly stock or modified? If it's modified, especially on a MAP based system, then you'll have the best chance of improving on the factory's programming. Good Luck!

P.S. What's the stock voltage range on that sensor? Keep that in mind as if it's very small you'll want a potentiometer that has a very small adjustment range and vice versa...

i tried a similar think on a potentiometer and it didnt seem to help my stumble.

got fedup with the oem stuff and jsut bought the sds..

Mike

Guest Anonymous

i do have a couple of mods right now. mainly just factory exhaust manifold with 2 1/4" complete exhaust to the back. i also have an Accel Super Coil. in my garage i've got a Turbo MAF along with a normal MAF, 6-2-1 header, slightly modified intake manifold, and a slightly warmed over cylinder head. since my car is a 79 and i am using the factory 2.8L i don't have an O2 sensor. so once i get these mods on there, i'll be running a little on the lean side. great for gas mileage but bad for performance.

the potentiometer i got is a 10 turn unit so its easy to be precise. i'm not sure of the exact specs on it, but a few people have used it before for this application. so i figure for $20, why not!!