HybridZ

Spark plug wires

Guest zfan

Ok Im sick in friggin tired of replacing spark plug wires every few months! I have tried several brands of wires and have used taylor heat boots, even double boots and still frying the f-----g wires!!

Anyone else have this problem? The wires tend to fry around the boot base wear wire goes in. Today at work in the parking garage a friend was checking out my car and commented as it is pretty dark in there, check out the spark around the plugs!

All said and done I found three total out of eight that were sparking around heat boot covers.

Im using sanderson block huggers with ceramic coating and still. They are a tight fit, very close to plug wires.

Im thinking of just buying Accel wires thru summit or jegs as they are cheap, 20 bucks a set. If Im going to fry wires left and right I might as well not go broke on it!

Mike icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Have you checked into Jacobs Electronics. Dont they sell a 100% silicone wire. Also, if memory serves me correctly-he also sells the same wire for R.V.'s where the boots are "Porcelin" for those that keep burning boots...I believe thse porcelin wires ares suppose to be lifetime warranty?

I bought a set of his wires about 10 years ago (just the regular 100% silicone wires) for an Olds Cutlass I used to own, & their boots were vulcanized. I've since bought & sold three different Cutlasses. Each time I sell an Olds Cutlass-I keep those wires & save them for the next Olds V8: I thought they were real quality wires-so the wires w/the porcelin boots should be eqaul quality..unless someon else knows otherwise(?).

Something to check into anways.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Careful - if the porcelin contacs the header the whole thing heats up and the wire inside "fries". I learned this from someone who had gone through the experience... icon_sad.gif You want to maintain at least a little airgap if possible. Those suckers are straight boot only too I think and NOT cheap.

Correction - they DO come in 90degree boots as well. I think I'll try a regular MSD set first and then see how bad they burn etc. I'll be running straight plugs...

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Fast Frog

Mike:

Get a set of Extreme 9000 plug wires from JEGS or Summit or where ever! They have a special flex boot that is very heat resistant. Also, slightly dimple(1/8")-on each header-on each end runner near the two center plugs. This gives a little more room for the boot. I had the same problem several yrs ago with boots splitting and the spark arching onto the headers. This was my solution! icon_wink.gif

Rick