HybridZ

EFI ignorant

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok so far from what i have gathered from this posting is the newer DFI and the electromotive tec II..or III is the way to go

..from what i have seen i think i will go with a full kit from force with the accel DFI..i havent got the knowledge to piece a EFI system together and im sure i will save money in the long run to just buy the set up from force...if anyone has a better idea or a good used system for sale...let me know...and thanks for all the info guys...but i still need to learn more so im still looking around...thank you

The reason why I stated that the DFI gives better fuel control is this.

SDS uses a fuel vs RPM a one dimensional table, then uses another table for fuel vs manifold pressure another 1 dimensional table. "You will probably have to draw this on paper, to figure this out"

Accel uses a 2 dimensional table of MAP vs RPM. You can set 256 points individually, good if you know what you are doing. Now in the SDS has the same type of control however the software automatically interperts the points you can only set like 32 points and the rest are calculated.

I am not bashing SDS it is sometimes a better choice. The old DFI is decent, and like the 80's GM ECU it is a good package.

Personal favorites are; Felpro, Haltech, New DFI. The TEC II is a little to much to put my head around as far as fuel settings.

Gearhead - read the linked PDF at least before you order anything. Also checkout the FelPro if you're buying it all whole hog. It might be too much, heck the new DFI might be too much, but it's worth a comparison. I personally would love to check out their software and see one in action. Iknow someone who migh tbe using one but I've not seen him in months - I migth see him at the cruise Saturday and if I do I'll see what I can do about a demo.

As for the SDS - yup it's simpler! But I think that's what they were striving for. A "good enough" simple solution. I've not used it but am honestly tempted to give it a try. It's control is not as finite and the ECU makes assumptions for you but again for some cases this is okay.

Heh, Electromotive. Yeah, they do their stuff "different". If you're used to other packages trying to figure their's out with it's different terminology could be a trip. I'm told that once you're used to it that it's not so bad. Have you looked at their graphing capabilties? Other's may have caught up but they've had some good tools for years. The guy I knew who used them on RX7s raved about their setup. Boost control fomr the ECU, NOS, triggering external stuff - pretty nice. The terminal strip on the ECU bugs me and I've seen people having fits with it.

Gearhead - please let us know what sorts of prices you get too. Are you considering converting a carb intake or using something like the Accell gear? Any tuning shops nearby that you can query on prefrences?

Guest Anonymous

well what i was kinda looking for was somthing along the lines of www.force-efi.com ...i like there set up and they offer either the accel DFI or the haltech ecu's with the kit....kinda spendy at $2,800 bucks but then im sure piecing together one (especially by trial and error) it would turn into a good deal..lol hope the link works..

I will reinsert my DFI comments

Good: cheap, easy to understand software, works well used on several very fast cars. Uses an old laptop for cheap, can run wideband O2, and NOS, coilpack capability.

Bad: Poor customer service, no real wiring diagram, sad datalogging that is slow and can't log many variables

I've been looking at the Force site a good bit too. Ouch the price hurts though! Their throttle bodyair door setup is real pricey at $500 or so and really drives the price up. However it looks like a quality piece and if you want it to be straight forwardbolt on and go those guys seem to be setup to do just exactly that. Note that they can use older GM ECUs if you wish and if you're not going to be making many changes that might work. It could require some chip exchanges while they zeroed in on the tune though.

I have been trying to get some detailed info on the new GEN VII DFI box. A guy that I respect, and who is talking to me about turbos, has picked one up. He may have sold a FelPro to get it too so I'm pretty curious. If anyone has found a site much better than the Accel site concerning this box I'm all ears. Some things I've found of interest:

Can datalog 14 sensorsinputs at once!

Can selectively display those sensors in it's own analysis package. Can filter spikes too!

Can control torque converter lockup

Can control A/C clutch

Can use wideband O2.

Sequential, bank to bank, and batch fire injection - cylinder by cylinder fuel adjustment in all modes

NO MAF ability.

Fuel and ignition rev limiters. External switching for ignition cut (two step)

MIL light for diagnosing malfunctions

3 stage NOS ability

Knock sensor

Fan control

Low and high impedance injector drivers

Harnesses for Ford and Chevy injector setups.

Note that a bunch of that is using optional functions. Nice to see that Accel is bundling this with intakes like the Superam as before but shame on Jegs for not carrying it! Pics of the software on the Accel site are too small and nobody else seems to have pics icon_sad.gif I will try to get a copy of the software from my friend and check it out icon_smile.gif

I've not yet mapped out what the SpeedproFelPro can do in comparison but I do know that it can do wideband and it CAN do MAF ($1K option).

I'm bidding on a Victor Jr or two on E-Bay. If I get one (not looking good) I'll start doing mods to it in anticipation of eventually going EFI.