HybridZ

got the V8 bug! HELP ME GET STARTED!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Here's the deal guys.

I have an n/a 83zx.

I'm 18 and bought it because I needed a car.

I would love to have a 240z but I just dont the money and time for a serious restoration.

Now the problem is I own a pretty badly rusted zx with a mest up steering rack.

I dont really want too put much work into it because the car's underbelly has got some serious rust.

The engine needs to be rebuilt and I dont want to be without a car for too long so I cant take it out and leave it on a stand to be rebuilt for too long. So I was thinking I can drop a v8 in it and have some fun with it while I save the L28 for another Z ... maybe sell it.

With that said I have some questions.....

my friend has a TPI LB9 (305) he dont want.

my car's also fuel injected....

I've never heard of anyone doing this swap. (Carbed seems to be the way most ppl go.. JTR even suggested it to me). So I want to know how big of an issue this is. I'm guessing the computer is the biggest obstical.

Also... can I use the same tranny?

the turbo's came with Borg-Warner T-5 (which i believe Chevy uses) but what about my n/a Z?

Finally: safety.

would my car's chasis be able to handle that much torque considering the rust? and the rack and pinion is kinda loose... what about that?

I want to do this as soon as possible so help and suggestions would REALLY be apprecaited. Sorry for the length.

twak.gif

quote:

Originally posted by FTSzero:

Now the problem is I own a pretty badly rusted zx with a mest up steering rack.

I dont really want too put much work into it because the car's underbelly has got some serious rust...

After dealing with the rust issue, you'll wish you had started with a better car in he first place.

quote:

The engine needs to be rebuilt and I dont want to be without a car for too long so I cant take it out and leave it on a stand to be rebuilt for too long. So I was thinking I can drop a v8 in it and have some fun with it while I save the L28 for another Z ... maybe sell it...

The time invested in doing a complete swap for a first timer is going to be just as long or most likely longer than buying a rebuilt or used L28 and putting that in. Are you prepared for the possibility of this happening? What if it does? You must think this through carefully with costs and time considered, because you'll be out cash and valuable time, and even maybe the car if it gets towed or something.

With that said I have some questions.....

my friend has a TPI LB9 (305) he dont want.

my car's also fuel injected....

I've never heard of anyone doing this swap. (Carbed seems to be the way most ppl go.. JTR even suggested it to me). So I want to know how big of an issue this is. I'm guessing the computer is the biggest obstical.

In a manner of speaking 'yes.' It is actually lack of knowledge of how everything works together that is the difficult part. If you pursue this, I highly recommend JTRs fuel injected engine swapping guide, and MSA's ZX engine swap kit (I think they have one still?)

quote:

Also... can I use the same tranny?

the turbo's came with Borg-Warner T-5 (which i believe Chevy uses) but what about my n/a Z?

NO YOU CAN'T, at least not easily. Yes they are both a 'T5', but they have different input an output shafts. You really need a WC T5 from a Camaro.

quote:

Finally: safety.

would my car's chasis be able to handle that much torque considering the rust? and the rack and pinion is kinda loose... what about that?

Perhaps it can handle the power, perhaps it can't. Consider carefully what you do and expect from a rusty car. You guys in the rust belt have bigger cajones than me in driving around rust bucket cars. I believe them to be unsafe, period, even with the stock motors in them.

quote:

I want to do this as soon as possible so help and suggestions would REALLY be apprecaited. Sorry for the length.

I'm not trying to dump on your parade, but how much money have you budgeted in doing this swap? This is going to take more time and money than you think, unless you are really experienced, and you'll be putting all of it into a rust bucket. You may not like this advice, but you asked for it! I would stick with the L28, and if it needs a rebuild and you like the car enought to keep it for a time, drop a used L28 into the car. I would save your money for a car (240Z, 260Z, 280Z, 280ZX) in better condition and do the swap in that car. Otherwise, I think this may turn out to be an exercize in frustration. icon_sad.gif

Again, sorry if I'm raining on your parade, but I think this is best.

Davy