HybridZ

msd 6al hook up in a 75z w/82 turbo swap

Guest Paul Felker

Guest Paul Felker

im putting a 82 turbo motor in my 75z, and i was wondering if i could use my msd6al with the new motor, my reasoning is in the 82 harness there is supposed to have a resistor for the opperation of the coil, i cant seem to find mine, so i would like to use my msd unit instead, but how would i hook it up to the dist, and what about the thing next to the coil with the blue and black wires? thankyou

You should have no problem hooking up the MSD system. Here I made this picture up a while back to help someone else out:

MVC-464F.jpg

You want to keep the coil igniter. I think you take the output wires from it, the blue(-) and the black/white(+) and hook it up to the MSD system. Without the coil igniter the computer would only put out a very small amperage pull to ground on that yellow/white wire going to the igniter. So that you don't harm the ECU you'll have to use the igniter.

Hopefully somone that has hooked up this sytem can back this. I'm just going off of how I've seen others install these systems before.