HybridZ

280ZX mounts and manifolds...

Well, it seems i have the uncommon power paralellogram type steering in my 81 ZX, and it has made mounting the 350 and finding headers VERY difficult. I finally had to go with 3" of spacers on the drivers side, and 2.25" on the passenger side with no set back plates to get everything to fit right. Bell housing bolts are easy to get to from the top, though. Headers were definitely not an option, had to go with cast iron manifolds. Center dump rams horn type on passenger side to clear starter, and rear dump chevy truck manifold on driver's side to clear steering gear box. What a PITA! Now the only thing i really have to worry about is the driveline angles from mounting the motor so high (shouldn't have to raise the back of the diff, though), and cutting a hole in my hood for the f$@#$&g carb. well, the carb would fit, but not an air cleaner. Has anyone else done this swap, and if so, did you have these problems? Sorry, just venting some frustration, and trying to document this for posterity!

Bill

Guest greimann

When you say "parallelogram" steering, do you mean the steering box type versus a rack and pinion? If so, there is a low profile solution to your dilemma. On the drivers side you will need a cast iron manifold that I think is from a '78 El Camino. This manifold dips in to clear the steering box like it was made for the conversion. On the passenger side, you can run the ram horn center dump. The driver side engine mount needs a .5" spacer and the passenger side is flat flush. A carb and 3" high low profile air cleaner fit nicely.

I have '79ZX V8 and have many pictures that show this situation. E-mail me if you want more specific info.