HybridZ

ATTN: RatedR

Jared,

I was lucky to find my GN drivetrain from a Z owner who was looking for a complete L28T drivetrain with all the components I had. We made an even swap, with him also getting the SDS and NPR. That person is the machinist who made the CV adaptors.

If you are looking for one, the best source is the classifieds on the 2 main turbo Buick forums. Expect to pay about $2500 and more if it has mods. That sounds like a lot until you compare it with what you would have to spend on a SBC or 5.0 to match the GN performance. The beauty of the GN is that if you set it up with a good I/C and exhaust system, all it takes to make another 75-100 HP, is a race chip, race gas, turn up the boost and some careful tuning.

www.turbobuick.com

www.turbobuicks.com

If you are looking for turbo Buick info that will make your head spin, go to: www.gnttype.org

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

How many miles did the engine have on it when you put it in? Did you rebuild it? What kind of gas milage are you getting?

Sorry for all the questions wink.gif

The previous owner claimed about 85K when I got it. The engine was untouched but the trans was beefed up and a 2800 stall added. I ran it untouched until I blew a head gasket. At that point I tore it apart and there were some minor stress cracks on the piston skirts so I rebuilt it new .020-over Federal Mogul hyper pistons (sacrilige!), rings, bearings and added ARP rod bolts and head studs. Heads are bone stock but with new springs. Total investment, a little over $800.

I never check the mileage around town because I never fill up the tank with pump gas. Too much trouble to drain it when preparing for the track, so I put just enough gas so I only have to drain 5 or so gallons. Last time I checked the mileage was on a 400-mile roundtrip cruising on the freeway at 75-80 and it got about 24mpg.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

What psi are you running at the track? Whats a safe psi to run around town? Have you ever had it dyno'ed? If so, what kind of numbers does it show?

At the track I am currently at 20# and working my way up to 24#.

Never had the car dyno'ed and even if I did , that number could not be used to compare against another unless it was on the same dyno. If I can get the mixture perfect, I estimate 400RWHP at 20# and looking for 440 at 24#. IMO, the only way you can truly compare HP is if the cars are on the same dyno or, the way I like it, plug the ET, MPH and weight into a formula.

How much boost you can run on the street depends on the turbo, engine setup, I/C, timing, octane and how well the car is tuned. There is no magic number, let the a/f meter or EGT tell you.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

On one of thoes message boards I found a guy selling some blocks/transmissions:

87 GN engine complete $2000

87 GN rebuilt short block (.030 forged pistons ,poston cam ect.)

$1400

87 GN transmission(BRF coded) $650

87 Rebuilt transmission with low miles(by Cotton Perf.) $1000

are these prices any good or should I keep looking?

Jared

RickB is knowledgable with Buicks also and can chime in.

87 GN engine complete $2000

If complete means everything from the TB to the oil pan, plus the headers, crossover, turbo and MAF, it is not a bad price but a little high. If it includes the ECM and harness, thats a little better.

87 GN rebuilt short block (.030 forged pistons ,poston cam ect.)

$1400

Note that it says shortblock, so I assume no heads, intake, exhaust, turbo, etc. You can go a long way with the stock cam so I wonder just what the intention was with this.

87 GN transmission(BRF coded) $650

BRF is the code for the turbo 200R4. Good price if it includes the converter and flywheel. Do not accept any converter but the one made for the turbo, coded D5.

87 Rebuilt transmission with low miles(by Cotton Perf.) $1000

Jack Cotton is one of the most reputable Buick vendors and if it has a converter, I trust him.

are these prices any good or should I keep looking?

Personally I would look for a complete matched drivetrain and target $2500.

Is Scarp still listening? Wonder what happened to the wrecked GN he bought?

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ