HybridZ

Is Anyone Building A GN-Z?

Guest RON JONES

Scottie,I beleave ZMan377 is about to under take the GN-Z swap.In the topic drictly below yours he is saying Good By to his 377SBC.

Ah I guess since you are both approching dedicated drag racers it makes sense... so what are you hoping to get for your old NPR? smile.gif

------------------

"Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers

Guest Z Man377

I bought the GN to part it out. granted the car is much nicer than i was expecting.

I hate to part it out. But i want it in my

Z. I would be interested in your IC. Email me a price and pics. Jerry

Zman,

if you are patient parting it out, you should be able to get most of your investment back. Some of the parts are getting hard to come by and command big bucks, like the pewermaster and rear end, especially if it is posi.

Unless something unexpected comes up, the I/C will be for sale. The price is going to depend on how the L-A I/C gets mounted. If it goes in the stock location, then I want to sell it to a GN-Z with the pipes and hoses as I would hate to waste those nice mandrel SS pipes. If I locate it in front, I would use the pipes and hoses and then anyone could use the NPR.

You can see pics on my page. Unfortunately I do not have any pics showing this NPR compared to the more common one. This is the rare "large" NPR. Same width and thickness but it is taller and has huge finned tubes. I will not be raping anyone on this but keep in mind that it already has the mods done.

I will not announce any pricing until I do a trial fit of the L-A i/c but obviously selling the NPR is helping to finance this new venture. Now I need to find an auxiliary radiator, a pump and make a reservoir. What is the tiniest import radiator anyone can think of?

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Scottie--the radiators in the old Honda CVCC Civics only went across half the car-considering what the overall width of the car was, you could probably fit 3 or 4 in there. I used to own a 77 CVCC wagon, and was surprised that little dinky thing actually cooled it--mioght be worth a shot

If I recall it was all metal (did they even have plastic tanks on imports back then?)

I just went here: www.rockauto.com and looked up a radiator for a 77 cvcc 3bbl motor, and they run about 82 for A/T and 92 for M/T--might want to check them out

FWIW RockAuto has fairly good prices on lots of stuff-I got a 38 gal rear tank for my truck for under 200 bucks shipping included--the site takes a while to load, but they have a real nice catalog interface

Yeah, I'm in the process of doing the swap right now. I'm in Milwaukee, WI. A friend of mine turned me to the GN swap. Made more sense to do the Buick swap then the V-8. Scottie, you should put more pictures on your web site. I would love to see every nook and cranny on your car.

Mat Wandsneider

!M!

------------------

That's a what with a what in it?

Mat,

I have a gazillion pics and as soon as I get Front Page on my new laptop, I will see about adding a lot more.

How far along are you? What are your goals?

This engine and the ingenuity of the Buick Turbo community never ceases to amaze me. There was a request to the chip maker to add an adjustable shift light parameter into the chip. He did and now I have a shift light that cost me $0 that is now going to make driving a little easier. My routine at the top of 3rd is to look at the gauge on the pillar to see the boost and EGT then refocus on the tach for the 3-4 shift. Even with driving glasses, these old eyes need a moment to refocus. Now my shift light is a bright miniature gauge bulb with a red skin hidden in the gauge bracket. Now I just have to stare at the guage which has green lighting and that red shift light jumps out at you.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

How far along? Not very. I still have to put in the engine. I have a lot of work ahead of me. My goals for now is to get the engine and transmision into the car, get the suspension, rear end (R200 LSD), CV's, brake upgrade, ect..

Just starting out. I hope to have everything done within two months. Still need to get a new turbo (stock), and get a wiring harness made up by Casper. Next summer is when I plan to play with the car. I want to take it to the drag strip, and road race it. I hope to be faster than the high bucks cars. I guy I know has a turbo TA, he took it to Elkarht Lake and spanked a few Porsches' and Ferrari's. All he had done was a 3 inch exaust, chip, injectors, fuel pump upgrade, and K&N filter. Sounds like my kind of fun. Spending under 10 large for the car, drivetrain and suspension, and being faster than exotics, makes me smile from ear to ear.

How many of these GN-Z's are out there? So far I know of 5 in the states and one in Canada running 9's.

------------------

That's a what with a what in it?

I am sure there are more out there that do not get on the net.

If you do not have a harness, then the Casper's unit is a pricey but excellent choice. Given your budget, $500+ should not be a problem.

If you have to get a turbo, DO NOT get a stock one. I would recommend a TE-44 and Bluetop injectors. The turbo is about $675 new and you can get the injs used for $200. Chips are available for $20 and at that price you can experiment with a pocketful of them. A low-buck ported wastegate elbow, 3" DP and exhaust and that is all you need for the engine. With some race gas and the boost turned up, you will leave Porsche turbos in your wake on the straights, and I am a Porsche guy biggrin.gif.

Keep us apprised of your project and anyway we can help. You and Zman must get together and share project ideas.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ