HybridZ

buick conversion for 260z? what hp?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am investigating the possibility of converting my 260z to either a Range Rover /leyland v8 or a buick turbo v6. What makes the buick v6 a good conversion and why?There are plenty of these engines for sale - but what gearbox is best and what car are they from? What hp range can be expected? icon_eek.gif

The Buick engine is a very good solid motor with the great ability to be tweaked for even greater performance. There are a host of ggodies available for upgrading the motors although one can expect well over 300+ for just a stock motor. I'm no expert on these engines--Scottie is--but I have read about them, and the guys that run them absolutley love them. The 200R4 is the tranny I believe that they are linked to. This seems the be the best one--if you look in the search function of the forum, you'll find a lot of information about the motors, the transmissions and the potiential.

All said, the Rover V8 is plentiful where you live and is a great performer as well. I really don't think you can go wrong with either--but the Buick motor has a much higher horsepower potential than the V8.

David

Nick,

one of your mates has a really sweet V-8 swap. I cannot remember his name so do a search. If I recall, he appeared to have a healthy investment in that setup so judge your decision accordingly. The V-6 turbo was available in the US in the Turbo Regal, Grand National(X) and Turbo Trans Am. I do not know if it was offered in any Aussie-based GM vehicles. It was only available only with the TH200R4 4-speed automatic tranny. The Buick folks stick with the auto because the manual requires work/expense to fit and supposedly loses performance. This though is from a drag racing perspective.

The V-6 turbo is a low-revving, high-torque monster. It will make A LOT more HP than the V-8, 300+ with just higher octane and more boost and 400+ with just a turbo upgrade, better I/C and fueling. BTW, that is RWHP. It would take a lot of $$$ to make the V-8 match that and then probably not very streetable, but it all depends on what you are after. If you are into road racing, it is the V-8/5-spd hands-down. If you are into drag racing, you can have a unique Jekyll-Hyde 260Z. Docile street car with good mileage than can run a 10-sec 1/4-mile.

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: Scottie-GNZ ]

Guest Anonymous

Hey Nick -

I am using the 3.8 Buick turbo in my custom for all the reasons these guys have mentioned. The V8 is just too long for the Roadster, but has been done. It is a cool motor, but wanted more HP cheaper.

You did say "gear box" so I'm guessing you want a manual. I am using the T5 5 speed from a '89 Firebird. If you can't find a Buick manual bell housing (hard to find around here) you can (as i did) use a V8 chevy bell housing. The bottom two bolts and alignment pins match up and build a simple plate out of .060 inch steel plate to give the top bolts a home.

I may lose a little at the drag races, but putting a auto in a Datsun Roadster is not natural - HOLD IT - nether is putting in a V6 turbo icon_smile.gif

Phil