HybridZ

Update on 3.8 turbo Roadster

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys - SPL311 here.

New floor pans are getting welded this week. (see Paint and Body).

I got a new body out of FL that is better then Rusty. The new body (Spot) still needed new pans and some other rust repair, but a very good frame. I will finsh rust repair on the body and remove it, hang it on the wall, then start the frame mods. BTW, Spot needed a new trunk floor/back panel welded in which I took off of Rusty. It welded in pretty good - after I removed all the lead filler icon_smile.gif

I will be packing up the turbo and sending it to get rebuilt soon. Any mods I should do???

Some pictures on www.picturetrail.com/SPL311

Spot looks a lot like Rusty did. Both red 67.5 Roadster bodies. But Spot came with many more interesting colors - blue fender, white hood, red interior, gray back panel.

All for now

Phil

Sweet car we are restoring one right now same year and everything(minus the motor)I was thinking of doing a buick swap i know of a motor and trans and harness for 500 bucks and it runs!But i have to talk my g-friend into it.It's her car that we are restoring do you have any extra parts you are looking to get rid of?We have some parts too if you need any let me know and i'll see what i can do.

Scotty, that engine you speak of is way too expensive! You better give me the information on where to find the person responsible for selling that engine at that price, and I'll take care of him. icon_biggrin.gif

Just play'n, but you would be nuts not to buy that engine for $500, just as long as it's not a pre-'87 powerplant. A running engine alone brings in around $2-3K, depending on condition and mods.

!M!

they are very hard to find in australia... they only really sell into other club people

my unles is restoring his... build number #245 of the first year made..datsun 1000. he has had it since he was 16 or something...

once the paint is done and bodywork finished $7000AU... i'll get some pics up of it...

And the SPL311 ride is going to be craaayyyzz ass... always love convertables.. and a datsun convertable even beter... and even better with a buick 3.8ltr turbo

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the nice comments.

Scotty - I do have some parts, anything you need? Right now I am OK with parts. The '66 gets Datsun parts, but the custom will have only the body from Datsun. All else will be US/aftermarket goodies. Unless you want to spend a lot of time on your restoration, I would use the original motor/trans. To get the power down I plan on using a 4 link GM or Ford LSD rear end. Projects like this take a lot of fabrication. But, if you have a welder in hand - go for it!! If you need more info let ne know!

ZRossa - I don't think NZ got any Roadsters. Your Aussy friends did. They got a couple of thousand I think (book not in front of me). Phill Brook from down under wrote a book on the Roadster that is very good. If you are interested in getting one let me know. They come up for sell down there now and again. And they are RHD.

This motor does fit very well. This thing is getting attention from people getting flustrated with the high cost of Datsun parts. Good, cheap power.

Phil

Hey phil we need bumpers but i think i want to run it without them it looks better.We do need a dash cuz no one has one they are all for the 68's and higher none for the 67.5'sEverything else is there the engien runs and has alot of power i was very impressed.I took it out and tried to do a burnout and i reved it up and dumped the clutch and it was just sitting there reving up i was thinking man it needs a new clutch!But then i pushed in the clutch and the car rolled forward and i looked back and saw two skinny black marks it was just baking the little tires icon_biggrin.gif I was very impressed can't wait to drive it down the road.Hey how did you mate up a 5sp on the GN motor?Was it expensive?

Guest Anonymous

Hey ScottyMiz - Chrome is hard to get for the Roadster. Rechroming has gone sky-high thanks to the EPA. I have bumpers, but they all need rechroming. On the custom I plan on building aluminum (polished) bumpers out of 2.5 X 1/4 inch stock and forming them to the same outline as the stock ones. I will bolt them close to the body (1/4") just to give it that finished look.

Dean at Fairlady Products has the dash caps for the early Roadster. He has fiberglass caps or complete dashes. I don't have his web address handy, so just search under Datsun Roadster and you will find him.

The Roadster runs very good for the size of their motors. I guess 2000# of car doen't hurt. I have raced 2 Miatas with my '66 1600 and beat them pretty good - and one was through corners. To blast around town you could not have a more fun car! OK - a V8 Z icon_smile.gif or a GNZ icon_smile.gif GN Roadster.... icon_biggrin.gif

To match the Buick motor to a GM trans, I built an adaptor plate out of 1/8 inch aluminum. The bottom 2 bolts and alignment pins match up and they take most of the torque. A Buick speed shop in AZ recommended .035 steel plate, but I had the aluminum already. It was simple to make a pattern out of poster board.

Sorry for the Roadster rants on a Z site, but MAN I learn a lot from you guys!

Phil

Phil, you could not be more welcome on this site--I was wondering where you had gone the other day!

Did you forget your original login password??

Your fabrication skills (ahem) are second to none and we love to see your work. Thanks for always posting pics of the work in progress--always very impressive.

You are making great progress!

Davy

Thanks phil i like you being around too icon_smile.gif Thanks for the info on the roadster parts i'll check them out.As for the bumpers i have the same problem that's why o want to leave them off.If i can't get the stock engine to run right i'll be asking you about that plate for the 5sp swap.