HybridZ

LT1 vs. 3.8series 2 weight difference?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was wondering what the weight difference between the LT1 and 3.8 series 2 V6 might be?

I looked at both of these potential powerplants the other day and am trying to decide between the two. I read that a few other members have considered the V6 swap as a daily driver which is basically what I wish to do with my car. Obviously, the LT1 has much more performance potential than the v6 but I was curious how the power/wt. ratios of conversions with the two motors would compare? Thanks for any feedback and great site guys!

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm, since no one has touched this, I'll venture a guess... I'd imagine the LT1 being in the 530-550 lb range, the v6 231 probably in the lower 400 lb range? Just a guess, but I think its a close ballpark range. Either makes a nice swap, the LT1 is getting pretty popular lately as a Z swap candidate.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Lone for the reply. That does sound pretty close to what I had guessed at too. My sliderule tells me that a 220 horse V6( I think it should be fairly easy to get this from a series 2 engine with a chip, exhaust upgrade, etc.) would yield roughly the same power/wt. ratio as the V8 powered f-body.(310 horse or so factory) I wish someone would hurry up and do this particular swap and give us some good feedback. I think for an everyday driver it would be a high bang for the buck conversion.

Terry, you might want to check out some of the info on www.grandprix.net or www.clubgp.com there are a lot of people doing mods to the series II motor (also used in Grand Prix GTP models)--they may have some info as far as how much you can get from PCM mods, etc

BTW, if I recall, there is no plug-in chip for the PCM of those cars, you basically have to buy a complete reflashed unit

Jim