HybridZ

Stock Boost On 87 GN?

Guest Tom Scala

Guest Tom Scala

The turbo I'm running now is a hybrid with a 87Buick GN compressor mounted on the stock turbine. It is considered a t3 but is quite a bit bigger than a ZX t3. It's wheel is the same as the t04b. BTW at the moment I can only run 12psi because of a weak clutch and was wondering how much boost these things ran originally. I'm guessing 14-16 no? Am I loosing efficiency by running it at a lower boost that it was designed for? Didn't the "hot air" Buicks run near 15psi? Seems the turbo would have to be pretty efficient at that pressure to run that much boost without an IC.

Tom,

what you have is a fairly common setup, more common that some folks know. Not sure about the hot-airs, but the I/Ced GNs ran 12# from the factory. Cannot imagine there is a turbo Buick in existence running only 12#. I see no reason why you cannot easily run 20#. How much boost you can run is more than the turbo itself. The supporting components like a good DP, exhaust, I/C and control of ign/retard play a major role. You have all the right pieces.