HybridZ

Engine Transplant Idea

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

As I have been pondering what kind of engine to swap into my 77 280z I origanlly though that the V8 was the way to go but recently I found an add for a RB26DETT Skyline engine complete with trans and front suspension. Does anyone know anyone that may have done this or have any thoughts about it. For thhose who aren't sure what the RB26DETT is it is a 2.6 liter twin turbo that produces 350 hp+ at the crank right off the self it is possibly the best engine Nissan puts out

Yeah it is a great idea and has been discussed before. However I think the general opinion was that if you live in north america then the cost of the engine/tranny makes it not worth your while. You'd get more bang for your buck building up a L28t or a V8, not to mention the problems you'll have when it breaks and you have to pay a visit to the local parts store. "you want a part for a what?" Don't get me wrong, I think it is a awesome engine, but not very practical.

i have also wondered about this swap but it is quite expencive but i have been looking into a 2JZ-GTE engine out of the toyota surpa and its here in the states,would be alot more avalibale.

has anyone ever heard about doing this swap?

i've heard someone did a 7M-GTE swap and that would be fun to

Joe

I might be doing this swap, but still considering LS1 as an option also, but in australia the option is alot more easier as the engine can be easily adapted, I can use VL commodore engine ( RB30det) mounts that can just bolt into the L series engine mounts, and using the RB30 sump, it will clear the crossmember. The gear box i will use the is RB25 box, as i have heard it goes straght into the stick hole in the Z. then with engine management it will all work out nicely.

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/charleswilliams/index.htm

also this site shows a guy putting a Rb20det into his 240z,

but of corse Rb engine are more accesible in aus.. still a great reliable powerful engine

Ls1 with T56, cost about the same as a Rb26dett with Rb25 box, so just gotta decide what i want

Guest Anonymous

What got me started on this whole idea was a little thing I saw in an import mag that said that ARD preformance offers a package of the RB26DETT + 6-speed tranny and front suspension for around 5k and from my previous idea of a 350 HO delux crate engine and a 700R tranny the prices are about the same.