HybridZ

Ford Thunderbird Supercharged V6?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone considered this engine. Like the Ford Thunderbirds from the early 90s.

I think its a 4.3??L Supercharged and Intercooled V6. It makes around 220HP and 300lb ft of torque at 2K RPM i think. Thats pretty good. And with a smaller SC pully(more boost) and some other modifications, i bet this engine could really make alot of power.

This has come up before. I said it then, I'll say it again - I wouldn't do it. I've seen a few of them that really held together but I've also seen at least 4 of them in my friend's shop with BAD head gasket issues and at least one of them with trashed pistons. These were cars that weren't hopped up - simply driven stock :eek: Overheat one of these puppies and it's toruble. There are better motors out there although if th eprice were "right" then I might consider one but.....

I had six years in at my last shop and did 4 sets and 2 of them twice. If you EVER get it a little warm you are doing the heads. They were good but longevity wise they were weak as hell. Lots of stories about them and they are mostly true IMO! twak.gif

• 2 weeks later...

i am a ford dealer tech-these things didnt work cause oem radiator was made smaller to put intercooler beside it.the engine weight is light because block is small and heads were aluminum.if you put some kind of good head gaskit on it and a stud kit for the heads plus made sure it ran cool it should be okay.a t5 trans will bolt on .oem 5 speed was made by mazda and has a huge ratio spread for a 3.08 rear.engine makes lots of torque but doesnt like to rev much past 5500 rpm.same engine as many other fords-wind stars.mustangs,tbirds,taurus