HybridZ

VG30 in a Z? How 'bout a Mazda KL 2.5L V6?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Guys,

I'm wondering if a VG30 (DOHC or SOHC) will fit in a 240/260 - it seems a pretty wide motor. What's the block made of - cast iron or alloy? Has anyone ever thought of using the Mazda KL 2.5L V6? I have one in an MX6 and it's one of the smoothest, tractable motors I've experienced it's also very very light. Given that it's front wheel drive in the MX6 (therefore it can't put all the power to the ground, but still has plenty of performance for everyday driving), mounting it in a Z would take a bit of fiddling as far as mounts and gbox.

cheers guys.

Guest Anonymous

I believe the VG30 has been done, I'd do the search in the archives, there was a link/photo to I believe that engine just recently.

As to the Mazda. What sort of power can be made from it? Your only getting .1 litre over the original Z. That would be the only rub IMHO is that the power potential will be meager for all the hassle of swapping it in. Just an opinion of course.

Good luck with your project,

Lone

Well I happen to be one of the "done that" guys.

I have a VG30T in my 78 280Z. It IS a PITA. lots of custom stuff.. I could have dropped in a V8 for a small fraction of the cost and time...but I like to be different...

There is a large article I wrote over at the Zdriver.com site cronicling the swap. It is not a technical article, but has plenty of info of what is involved..some good pics too.

And no it doesn't fit very well in the engine bay....the turbo interferes with the frame and steering...

Thanks,

Scott.

It's been done... I've seen pictures somewhere of a VG30 swap, a VG30DET swap, and I know Greg Dupree's done a VG30DETT swap in his 280Z. From what I've seen (videos) and from what people have said, his car hauls balls. He himself says that the swap was an enormous PITA, even though he's one of the best of the best Z32 tuners.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest MegaShaft_2000
Originally posted by bigmac:

I have a VG30DET in my 260z 2+2. It was a PITA but it does haul. 0 - 60 mph in 5.95 secs and has 290 hp at the rear wheels

Greg

If you have 290 RWHP, you should do a lot better than 5.95 seconds. The 300ZXTT did 0-60 in 5.2-5.5 with 300 crank HP, and that car weighs 3,500 lbs. Even the new Altima will do 0-60 in 6 seconds, and that is 3200 lbs with a 245 hp V6. Your car probably does it in the mid 4's.

Give your car some credit ;)