HybridZ

ScottieGNZ - GN engine weight

RacerX

Car is down right now. Been complaining for weeks that I keep losing boost and finally found the problem. The I/C has some pretty bad leaks and it was sent back to Corky Bell for repair.

Be a while before it sees a road course. I have to redo the front suspension and brakes and get a decent set of tires. Focus right now is on starting to redo the bodywork.

Are you referring to current pics or pics of the ongonig project? Once I start, the car will be with primered panels for a long time as I will not paint the car until I have all the panels.

The current paint and bodywork was done in 1980. The bumpers were bent and not looking so good, so they have been removed. The RF flare is damaged from an accident and I will be replacing the fronts with stock style fenders and fiberglass would be nice. I never cared for that style flare on the front and there is nothing else I can find that will match the rear. Hood is fine but a carbon-fiber hood is less than 8lbs and a 27+lbs weight savings is tempting but the price is probably more than I want to spend. I also would like to get the MSA front dam with the integrated bumper, a fiberglass/Lexan hatch and repaint the car black or Audi blue like Dan's (74_5.0L_Z).

I basically want the car to look like my 75 JTR below with the current rear flare and drop about 100lbs in the process. Somewhere down the line I will do coilovers in the front, at least 12" brakes and 5-lug to match the rear. Since the focus right now is primarily on drag racing, the 82 calipers/84 rotors will do for now. Only thing custom might be an external filler for the fuel cell.

75-JTR2.jpg

Gotta love that body kit :-)

How do you plan to integrate the flares in the rear? I would love to run larger wheels in the rear, but can't think of a way to make it look good with the body kit.

Maybe with your vette rear end you were able to bring the wheels/tires in towards the center more?

Not sure how I am going to integrate the rear dam with the flares or even if I can, but I have someone who would gladly take on the challenge.

You would be amazed what you can fit under the stock fenders with coilovers. The key is getting the correct offset. My rear flare is unmodified with 255s (26") on 16x8s with a 6+" backspace!! and I have room to go bigger (wider, not taller).

I intend to run the same wheels on the front. I used to run a 15x8 with 4.5" BS with stock springs, so I need another 2" clearance. Since the stock hub cannot be drilled to 5x4.75, I will need a 4x4.5 to 5x4.75 adaptor anyway. So, I will have to go with the appropriate thickness on the adaptor with stock springs or coilovers.

• 2 weeks later...

How does that C4 handle compared to the original Nissan IRS setup? I'm slightly dumb in this area yet, but do the R230's come with CV half shafts or are they the same as the R200? Last few questions, what do the R230 half shafts look like in comparison to the C4 and how much does the whole R230 weigh compared to the C4?

Thank you for putting up with my ignorance,

Ryan

Ryan,

ignorance? Think you are being a little hard on yourself.

If by handling you mean driving hard through the "twisties", I have not had an opportunity to do that. With just normal around town driving and through the back roads where I live, it is an improvement. With a good weight reduction and the ability to adjust camber, toe, bumpsteer and the coilovers I added, it certainly will have more potential if I get serious about handling.

For the average Z car, is it worth the expense and effort? NO, unless you are serious about HP, need odd/better gear selection, looking for the adjustability, have the mechanical/fabrication skill to install it and can get one cheap. I did not install it for the handling. It was a better alternative to a solid rear to satisfy my particular needs.

R230s use CVs and R200 use CVs and halfshafts, depending on the car. The C4 IRS uses halfshafts with 3.5" aluminum tubes and massive u-joints. As for weight differences, I do not know what an R230 weighs, but I would guess the R230 and R200 (LSD) diffs probably weigh about the same despite the R230 being a 9". The R200 has a long pinion gear shaft making the heavy housing much longer. The C4 IRS is all aluminum except for the rotors, of course and came in a little under 80lbs lighter than the R200 IRS I pulled out. This allowed me to add over 11' of 3" channel steel over the entire length of the frame rails for rigidity w/o a weight penalty.

HTH and not trying to talk anyone out of doing the C4 IRS swap. Just do not want to see anyone doing it if it is not required or just because it looks cool. It is involved!